Looking at the stars

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Looking at the stars

Post by Gimli00 on 8/21/2013, 7:49 pm

Out of the corner of my eye I notice her blush again. I stared into the fire for a bit longer then tilted my head and looked at Avery. She was looking into the fire in a way that I knew she was thinking about her dad.  She smiled and chuckled to herself in a way I almost laughed myself. I thought back to my own father and things we'd done together. I was quickly stopped short by Avery talking and as I guessed it was about her dad.

I quietly sat and listen to her talk about her life and realized that I shared a lot of these things with her. She seemed relieved to get these story's off her chest, like she'd never told anyone these before. I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't. I'd never really told anyone either because I knew they just wouldn't care or they'd call me crazy. I felt that was my life until I got here, to people who understood. Yet I still kept up my guard and never talked to anyone, to them I was an outsider, someone who shouldn't be there. I was an Egyptian kid at a Greek camp. Yet I had been accepted by a few people, like Avery...

I looked at the fire again and thought of my father. We didn't move a lot like other kids, we thought his lab would protect us.  It did for a while and most monsters either gave up or were caught and destroyed before it could get us. When we had to go to town we were always in fear of getting attack so I became a master of illusions and tricker to get away from the monsters. Even now at camp I still always carried a few smoke bombs and a few other things just in case I had to get away quickly. My dad knew chemicals like the back of his hand and so I learned from him how to make, and use them. Which made me think of a funny story...

"No its all good, it reminds me of my own dad a bit. There was this one time my dad was working on one of our new chemical bombs and we use small amounts of it to make small pellet bombs. Anyway so its kind of like Greek Fire, it'll burn through almost anything for a short time. So what we did was we throw them at fireworks to set them off but one hit a really big firework directly completely blowing it up. The best part was it set off all the other fireworks and it made the best firework show I've ever seen." I was looking to the stars as if I could still see them going. 
Gimli00

Male
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel on 8/23/2013, 9:30 pm

Avery simply laughed as he told his story. This was the first time Red had really mentioned anything about his father, well anything besides the fact that he had one and that his father had died. It was nice to hear about his father and for him to share the story with her. She guessed that was what happens though, you share a personal story and in turn you get to hear one as well. Avery knew it was probably hard for him to say, just like she knew she hesitated before sharing things about her father. They shared this in common with each other, and that was probably why they seemed to connect with each other so well.

"Sounds nice." Avery could imagine the look on his face now as he watched all the fireworks go off around him. It was probably a mix of both being frightened and being in awe of the view in front of him. "I'm sure you were probably terrified." She said teasingly towards him and lets a wide smile move across her face.

"Oh, that reminds me of another story." Avery straightened her back out as she began to tell the story to Red. "So my father is a college professor and he teaches ancient history. And I used to beg him when I was much younger to go with him to his lectures, just pit on my best pair of puppy dog eyes and beg him to let me sit in with him. And usually my father would say no and tell me I couldn't go. But he would always make an exception if they were learning about the ancient Greeks and mythology. So I would go with him and sit at the front of his class and listen to him talk about the stories and the buildings and everything. He was so passionate about it and you could tell when you listened to him talk on those days." Her voice held a tone of reminisence in it as she thought back on much happier times.

"So my father would always, leave the windows open in his classrooms and it used to make his students so mad. He would have it open no matter what, there was once a blizzard outside and he would still always have that window open. But for good reason as everyday he taught, at least the days I was there, an owl usually sat down on the window sill as if it was listening. Now here is, the funny part, one day when I was about 9 years old, my father allowed me to come with him he was talking that day about different Greek stories and myths and he was retelling the story of how Medusa came to be. So he had just finished telling them about how Athena caught Poseidon having an affair with a beautiful young girl in her temple, and as punishment turned the girl into Medusa. Then my father asked what his students had learned from the story and this girl spoke up and said something like 'I learned Athena overreacts, but luckily these stories aren't real.' And just then, as if on cue or something, the owl that had been sitting on the window sill took flight right into the classroom and everybody started freaking out and running out the door." Avery paused for a moment as she started to chuckle a little, getting a little ahead of the story as she began recalling it more and more. "So my father had to cancel class. And after everyone left me and my father just looked at each other started laughing for like 30 minutes straight."

Avery just looked over to Red and smiled because it was technically his, fault that she was now feeling comfortable enough to just reminisce about her past like this. "I guess the date turned into a story telling party,huh?" Avery just hoped it didn't make Red upset with her speaking so freely like this about family and past. She knew that there were many demigods here who would rather not speak of their pasts at all and she just didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable by sharing these stories with him.
Ariel

Female
Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2012-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gimli00 on 8/24/2013, 11:14 pm

This is what happiness is. The thought flew into my mind as I listened to Avery tell her story. She seemed so happy and relieved to just talk with someone about her life. I was glad that I could be the person to receive it and tell her my story's as well. The only part of my life I really didn't want to talk about was the years between my dads death and getting here, anything before and after were fair game.

I listened as she continued with her story. I mean when do you have an owl just fly into a class room? Never. My moms animal was a lion and I hadn't really gotten the privilege of meeting any of them, but I wasn't complaining about that. Although I had seen them at zoos and stuff but they didn't really care or do anything, which was a bit of a disappointment to me. If only I had lions just jump into my classrooms when I was bored.

My thoughts were broken by her comment about our date turning into a story telling party. I didn't really mind it at all. It was nice to get to know her more, to know what her life was like. It was nice to tell someone some of my story's too. My life, as well as most demigods, was a mess of fighting and running from monsters and it was nice to tell someone who understood it. 

" Yeah it did but I don't really mind." I say with a laugh. " I get to learn more about you. Any yeah I've never gotten the privilege of meeting a lion, my moms animal, before but I know she created a sand storm for us before. One day I was talking to dad about her and he told the story of how she breathed and created desserts so I asked if she could create sandstorms. He didn't know but that night a huge sandstorm hit us but it wasn't like a bad sand storm. It was almost like the sand was just shooting in the sky to make stars. The sky that night was the best I'd ever seen before. It's what got me into looking at them."
Gimli00

Male
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top