Starlight, I will be chasing in starlight.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starlight, I will be chasing in starlight.

Post by Morgan Landry on 1/23/2014, 3:59 pm

The Observatory was usually a quiet and empty place. Not many people came, and those who did had the grace to talk in hushed voices and make as less noise as possible. The place was shaped like a white marble dome supported by Corinthian-styled columns, and had a whole in the roof which size and shape was adjustable.
An imposing telescope sat in the middle of the room; the walls were covered in shelves filled with old parchment rolls and manuscripts. Euclid's Phaenomena could be found there, Ptolemy's Almagest, several works by Eratosthenes, Eudoxus of Cnidus, Geminus, Cleomedes, and numerous others.
Victor had just retrieved a scroll of the works of Timocharis with careful fingers, and had spread it out on a working table. His intense grey eyes moved over the Ancient Greek words and marks, taking in and recording all of the eighteen declinations of stars listed there, as well as the indications on the four lunar occultations. He took out something that looked like a silver iPod, except that it was far slimmer. With a click, it turned into a laptop that spread on his knees, the screen turning into a shimmering blue-ish hologram that still reacted to Victor's touch.
He pressed an area, which turned yellow, slid it into the middle of the hologram-screen and let it spread. The program scanned the scroll and Victor started another program that would handle the information of the scroll and compare it with the huge information data his computer possessed. If there was anything new, the program would add it in the appropriate folder.

While this was operating, Victor's mind was as usual focused on various questions, solving a differential equation on one layer of his mind, writing the solution down on his jeans or his shirt when he found out (yeah, he gave up on using booklets), pondering a philosophical question in the mean time whilst reflecting on a chemistry problem he had found earlier that day. Why were some organic reactions accelerated at the water-organic interface? Diels-Alder cycloadditions for example. Or pericyclic reactions. The "corpora non agunt nisi soluta" saying clearly didn't help.

Victor let his computer process and took a black felt pen out of his pocket. He first wrote on the side of his grey denim trousers the solution of the differential equation he had been cogitating about, then, on his other leg (there was more space there) he drew a chart in a couple of quick lines. He wanted to take as example the reaction of quadricyclane with dimethyl azodicarboxylate. Long words. Complicated words. Victor didn't mind, he was used to, in chemistry.
First column, solvent. Second, the concentration, third, the temperature (in Celsius), fourth, the time and fifth, the yield in percentage.
He would take toluene as first solvent because the concentration was one, it would be more easy to start with a reference. The fourteen-years-old son of Athena started filling the chart: 80 degrees Celsius, time: 24 hours, yield, 74%. How did he know this? He had made the reactions two days ago.
He was so into his chart that he didn't notice that his computer had finished carrying out the program, and that somebody had entered the room.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female
Number of posts : 15687
Registration date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.
(My mystery box prizes: 2 god parent gifts+2 slots+1exotic pet)

Back to top Go down

Re: Starlight, I will be chasing in starlight.

Post by kayt smells on 1/23/2014, 4:26 pm

I walked slowly into the Observatory, holding my new computer in my hand. It was in cube form, and I got it on Christmas from my mother. I was suprised that she remembered me, she has plenty of kids to worry about so I wasn't expecting a christmas gift. I don't know who sent the gift, but apperantly they have bad aim for they hit my head with it. But still, the computer was interesting. It could copy information, copy things and make a 3D form of it (3D printer built in) and it scanned things and could give you the information on it. As I was walking, I noticed my half brother Victor, writing something but I didn't look into it much. You see, Victor mentored me when I came to camp. He helped me figure out the camp stuff. I was thankfull for that, but I never got to thank him. I decided maybe I would say Hi to him, but then I might interup what he was doing. I decided I would get done what I needed to done first.

I walked over to the scroll area, you where not allowed to take them out of this room therfore I was going to scan it and get my own copy of one of the scrolls. I carefully picked out a scroll, and sat down to proceed with my research. I pressed the button on my cube/computer, as it slowly started to unwravel itself into the computer. Once it was in computer form, it had a fingerprint activation so I could get into the files I needed to. After fildling with some buttons for a little bit, I finally found out the scanner. I had the scroll layed out, so I decided to test it now. It took about 5 minutes for it to compleatly scan the scroll, and when it was done, it started to print out my own copy of the scroll. How interesting! Thats when I carefully rolled the scroll up and placed it back to where it needed to be.  

After about 30 minutes, I researched the document and I made a file folder (with a passcode) to put that information in. This was quite new to me, I never had a computer before and I knew this wasn't a normal computer. Thats when I decided that since I was quite bored, yet I didn't want to leave the obervatory, that I would maybe go say hello to Victor. I got up, organized everything, and then walke over to Victor. Hoping I would not startle him from his work, I said in a hushed voice.

"Hey Victor."

OOC: Sorry for such a short post, I am doing homework
kayt smells

Female
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2013-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 1/24/2014, 2:11 pm

"Hey Victor."

Victor looked up at the mention of his name and saw Elijah, one of his half-brothers. Elijah was twelve, two years younger than him, and seemed to look up to him, probably because Victor had mentored him when he had come to Camp Half-Blood.

"Hello, Alpha Leonis," he replied in an absent voice.

As usual, he gave people he knew star names, often randomly. Alpha Leonis was the brightest star in the constellation of Leo, and was also named Regulus, 'little king' in Latin. Victor must be in good mood to call somebody like that. He often called Jade, his girlfriend, Alpha Geminorum. John Kay, a son of Demeter, was Spica.
He playfully nicknamed his father Canopus or Alpha Carinae since it was called 'the star of the Old Man' in Chinese; fortunately, his father knew how to take a joke.

"I hope you are getting along well with your computer," he added, looking up from his trousers, where he had just finished his chart, to gaze at Elijah. Victor's intense grey eyes seemed to focus on multiple things at the same time.

He knew the computer was a gift of Athena. He wasn't jealous though. He had gotten a gift from their mother too, and he found it better than any computer.
He had to admit he had been afraid that Elijah's computer might outmatch his Aegis breastplate. Not many children of cabin six got presents from their godly mother, and Victor's honor had worn out when Eli had gotten his own present. He had felt slightly cheated and betrayed, though, especially since it was a computer. Victor had found it a bit unjust, he had sat during months on his computer, altering it, coding and adding programs, coating the batteries with graphene, in general making it far better and more powerful than any of the computers he had seen until now, and it had felt just inequitable that Elijah would get a brand new one from scratch like that without doing anything.
But then, Victor had looked at it and seen it in action, and had noticed it hadn't as much power or programs, or possibilities in general than his own computer, which had calmed him. In a way, it felt weird that Athena's gift was outmatched by Victor's own creation.

OOC: Yep, yep, had to add some of Victor's negative traits into this.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by kayt smells on 1/24/2014, 2:30 pm

OOC: I noticed

"I believe I am doing fine with my computer. I have only used 3 programs, and this compture is quite tricky to figure out. Once you are done with what you are doing right now, do you mind helping me figure out more stuff to my computer? I have never owned a computer before, so I do not know how to use one well."

I took a deep breathe and waited for a response. I noticed he called me Alpha Leonis, well that was a nickname I haven't heard before. I kinda liked it, and it was given from Victor. I saw Victor's gray eyes gaze apon me, which left me with a chill down my spine. No, no I was not scared of Victor, I admired him. The way he could caculate things, and just the way he thought was magnificent. Plus he was the person who mentored me when I came to camp.

Ooc: I am sorry about the short post, I am doing homework and studying
kayt smells

Female
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2013-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 1/24/2014, 3:32 pm

"Three programs out of how many?" Victor questioned, looking back at his holographic screen.

He had literally more than a thousand programs. There were some he didn't use that much, but none were useless; and he refined some from time to time.

Victor looked up though as Elijah asked for help, his gray eyes not showing any emotion, as usual.
Children of Athena were supposed to be intuitive about logic and mechanisms, and to learn through themselves; intelligence was often about adapting to new situations. It was weird to hear a son of Athena Ergane asking for help to figure something out.

He didn't word any of his thoughts nor did he betray what he felt through his face. Instead, he said "Sure," and stood up. He was something astonished at how sociable he had become ever since he had started dating Jade. Wait no. 'Dating' was not the good word. Ever since ... Jade and him were together.
Dating didn't seem good, because it felt so... short. People dated, but that didn't mean they'd be together for long. With Jade, Victor had deep, profoundly rooted feelings mixed with a sense of intellectual connection he had never experienced before. He just couldn't imagine not communicating ideas with her, not talking to her, not exchanging thoughts with her, not holding her in his arms, not taking her hand.
He felt cheesy having those thoughts. But they were true.

"So, what do you need help with?"

Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum