Tentative Introductions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tentative Introductions

Post by WolfGirl on 4/2/2014, 10:32 pm

Erin almost tripped over her shoelaces as she made a halfhearted attempt to dodge a root from an aged cyprus by the edge of the lake. Splish. Uncomfortable coolness leached through her Vans, soaking the bottom of her socks. Her bottom lip curled and she jumped back, her socks squelshing wetly. A cool, wet breeze ruffled her warm, brown hair and she lifted a hand to try in vain brush her bangs away from her face. Darker eyes flickered across the water, watching the orange blaze of sun sink to brush lovingly against the glassy surface of the lake. It was evening, warm, and the breeze was a fresh relief against the sweltering stickiness from earlier in the day.

She had left Ben and his friend at the Statue, feeling it best to let the two friends get reaquainted with each other. It had been awkward tagging along with them while they laughed and relieved old memories; she felt like she was interrupting. What made it funnier though was that neither of them seemed to notice it when she finally slipped away. She was good at that. She drew too much attention sometimes, but when the time came she could be gone in an instant. People were predictable, and disappointingly so.

The daughter of Pothos took a step back from the muddle edge of the lake back onto dry ground and sank to the ground with a groan. Her knees cracked alarmingly and she rolled her eyes. Bad knees had apparently been a thing on her mom's side of the family, not that she cared and not that she liked to remember. The ground she had chosen to settle on was firm, but seat of her jeans immediately felt damp. Frustrated and lonely, she slipped her worn out Vans off and roughly tugged off her socks. Standing back up, knees protesting the shift in weight, she wadded up the wet socks and stuffed them into their corresponding shoes.

Erin took a cautious step forward, curling her toes on the spongy moss. The thicket of trees she presently stood in ended some feet ahead of her and thinned out into more marshy terrain. Her iPod was in her jacket and her jacket was in her cabin, which meant that for once in her life she was alert for signs of company. Trodding forward, she dropped her Vans next to a Longleaf Pine seedling and began making her precarious way along the edge of the lake, wary of softer spots that might suck her into the mud and still cold water. She was eager to explore, to drink in the modest serenity of her refuge. Yes, there were fights. Yes, people died. Yes, monsters were a problem and satyrs could be annoying... But it was nice. And if you were smart, you didn't have to deal with all that anyway. She liked that.

There was a sharp snap behind her and Erin pivoted a little too fast. The mud grabbed at her bare feet, she slipped, recovered her balance after a flattering display of waving her arms, and peered back the way she had come. A bushy tail and angry chatter met her ears and she exhaled, temporarily relieved. It had only been a squirrel.
WolfGirl
Experienced Member

Female
Number of posts : 5163
Registration date : 2012-02-06

View user profile http://fantasyworldmania.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tentative Introductions

Post by Steve Rogers on 4/2/2014, 11:21 pm

The lake was quiet, save for the wild life and a few stray campers, the lake was completely devoid of life. Silence slipped across the surface of the glass-still water; no wind, no birds, just... quiet. It was peaceful; more peaceful than it had been in a long time. But all of that was about to change.

Two figures came bounding across the camp (although neither party was terribly fast) towards the serene lake. A boy and a girl; not lovers, just friends. The two were laughing and giggling, spouting off nonsensical inside jokes about yellow stuffed cats and Kraft Marconi and Cheese.

The boy appeared to be around sixteen years of age. He had a mop of messy, black hair and gold eyes; bright, intelligent, gold eyes that had once been filled with darkness and sorrow but had long since been replaced by light. His skin was patchy and mismatched: skin grafts replaced his once-scarred flesh after a fire during an orchestra rehearsal left him blackened to a crisp. He wore a plain red t-shirt and pair of well worn jeans and sneakers to hide his prosthetic left leg. He had a huge grin on his face and spoke with a well-practiced American accent.

The boy was a bit odd, what with his mismatched skin and mechanical leg, but in comparison to the girl he was with, he was the most normal guy on earth. The girl was, for lack of a better word, a freak. She had just a bit of blonde peach fuzz for hair (the result of two bouts of cancer and stubborn hair that refused to grow back) and her face, neck, chest and torso were covered in thick white scars from long, long ago. She, too, bore the burden of a prosthetic, but she was much more unlucky: both of her arms and well as both of her legs were bionic. And, she would've seemed like a monster if it wasn't for the happy-go-lucky, sunshine-y aura around her.

The two freaky friends, Demetrius and Randi, had just come from the kitchen where latter had been attempting to teach the former how to cook. The effort didn't end well, and the two almost ended up burning the whole camp down - - an action which didn't sit well with the grumpy old satyrs. Needless to say, the pair of oddities had been kicked out and now they were in need of something interesting to do.
Steve Rogers
Retired Staff Member <3

Female
Number of posts : 33821
Registration date : 2010-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfGirl on 4/3/2014, 6:45 am

Erin was putting all of her concentration into walking in a relatively straight line while attempting to keep the ankles of her ripped skinny jeans from getting too muddy. She could have rolled them up, but it would have looked ridiculous and it would have taken effort. Not that she was lazy, but clothes could be cleaned and she had more dynamic things she was interested in.

She took another step and a fat Bullfrog let out a derisive croak and hurled itself forward with a loud splash. Erin froze. The surface of the lake rippled, stretched, and returned to its previous glassy state. But that wasn't what she was paying attention to anymore. Voices sounded behind her along the way she had come, loud teenage voices raised in delight. Her feet took her away from the water's edge again, back to the safety of the moss and white along the bank. Tall grasses waved lazily in the breeze ahead of her; she still had not gotten to the marsh.

There was a decision she had to make: she could either hide, keep going, or greet whoever it was. Erin was never great at making decisions. Most of her choices were based off some level of fear, which resulted in her never quite getting what she wanted. It was easier to run, easier to hide. A weak choice, the coward's choice, but she wasn't very brave. So she made her decision.

Damp feet padding silently as a cat's, she wandered back a few meters and stopped. Waited. Listened. They were closer now, and her heart beat unnaturally loud in her chest as anxiety raised its head inside her brain. Her fingers twitched nervously, her eyes darted over the trees, frustrated at her inability to see more than a few meters into the darkness in front of her. What if they thought she was lame? Or weird? What if they just didn't care and she was just left there standing there staring after them? Would she be left behind again like she had been with Ben? And if that was going to be the case, why didn't she just slink off right now while she had the chance? She probably should. They wouldn't want her anyway. She didn't even want to be with herself so, logically, how could anyone else? She might as well just save them all the trouble of her awkward bumbling and just go. It wouldn't last anyway. Nothing ever did. She should just go. Leave. Now.

But she didn't. Indecision sped up her breathing, made her palms sweat. Her feet found themselves rooted to the ground. She couldn't move, couldn't chose. But she had to chose. They were coming closer and closer and there was no time. She swung her head left and right, gripped her hands tightly together and dug her nails in. The sharp sting of the pain revived her rapidly numbing brain but all it did what make the voices seem louder. She made her choice by her lack of ability to decide; time chose for her.
WolfGirl
Experienced Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Rogers on 4/3/2014, 8:08 am

Demetrius and Randi made their way around the lake, laughter filling up the empty expanse of trees and mud and water. Their movements were slow and uncoordinated and deliberate: the result of metallic implants. They weren't graceful but, in spite of their disabilities and the clunkiness of their movements, the two had a weird sort of beauty to them. No, neither of them were really attractive or in any way pleasing to the eye... They were beautiful in the sense that they were human. They talked and laughed like any other pair of teenage friends, but it somehow different. Two individuals who had overcome enormous obstacles were walking around conversing as if they were just another pair of high schoolers.

They walked around the lake, simply enjoying their existence. It was clear that neither party knew how to walk in a straight line: Randi kept bumping into the golden-eyed boy, nudging him playfully. Grinning, he would nudge her back. Soon, it became an oddly peaceful, unspoken game of Jello. She would bump into him and he would sway as if she had pushed him. He'd take and exaggerated step sideways then come back and bump into her. She'd do the same thing, and then the cycle would repeat. They looked kind of like a human Newton's Cradle. Sometimes they would press against each other, swaying back and forth as they walked.

"Randi," Demetrius said. "You don't understand... it was art," His voice was playfully whiney, and he pouted (although, he couldn't quiet hide his smile.)

"It wasn't art. It was Kraft Mac and Cheese. It wasn't even good. It tasted like kerosene! I don't even know how you managed to pull that off!" Randi exclaimed, unable to stifle her giggles.

Recently, Randi had introduced Demetrius to the glory that is the Food Network. Demetrius was obsessed. He had quickly fallen in love with the culinary arts. After four seasons of Chopped, several hours of Iron Chef: America and almost the entire series of Good Eats, Demetrius had decided that, along with the cello, cooking was also one of his passions. The only problem was... He didn't have the slightest idea how to cook. Randi offered to teach him, but the effort didn't end well. He ended up creating a pot of strangely off-colored Kraft Mac and Cheese and almost burned down the whole camp in the process. But despite his failure, Demetrius' love of the culinary arts didn't waver.

"You mock me now, but just you wait. Someday, you'll be seeing me on the Food Network," Demetrius said, confidently.

Randi grinned. "I have no doubt about that," She said. She paused for a second, her eyes lighting up mischievously. "I'm sure there's a seat on Worst Cooks in America with your name on it,"

Demetrius laughed. "That is not what I meant-"

"Hello Chef Flay, Chef Burrell," Randi pretended to introduce herself to the hosts of Worst Cooks in America, Bobby Flay and Ann Burrell, speaking with a fake impersonation of Demetrius' voice. "I'd like to present to you my dish: Kerosene Mac and Cheese!"

"It did not taste like kerosene!" Demetrius defended.

"Bu' i' did though," Randi said in a British accent, impersonating Catherine Tate's character, Lauren Cooper, from the Comedy Sketch she did with David Tennant.
Steve Rogers
Retired Staff Member <3

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfGirl on 4/3/2014, 11:06 pm

"Hullo?" The teenager's hand closed around the silky smooth trunk of a birch so thin her hand could almost completely wrap around it. She leaned forward, still holding onto the tree so that the tense muscles of her shoulder were stretched pleasurably. But gravity was a heartless b!tch and with a sudden gust, she was forced to relinquish her grip on the tree and stumble a few steps forward. She could make out two distinctly odd shapes making distinctly cheery conversation. Of course, it could be thinly misted monsters, but there lay in subtle undertones of the blurred words a core of honest sincerity. They weren't monsters. At least, she hoped not.

Erin's bare feet crunched old leaves into the ground. Curiosity had a hold of her now and she was moving one slow step at a time along the way she had come. The combination of shadows and her long hair cast her pleasant-enough face into shadow, which she liked. Erin was pretty by most standards, a trait possibly exaggerated by being a daughter of Pothos. For her part, she didn't like herself. She didn't like the freckles on her nose or the darkness in her eyes that made gave people impression that she wanted to kill something every time she tried to clear her expression. Her body was too skinny when she looked into mirrors and too fat when she looked down on herself. She liked herself best when the lights were out and she got to close her eyes and dream because that's when her body mattered least. She didn't have to slave to fix her flaws only to be criticized for being plastic.

The teenager tilted her head to one side and squinted through the fading light. "Hey?" It sounded more like a question than a greeting. While the darkness made her more comfortable in her skin, it did nothing to ease other nerves.

ooc: i'm soooooo sorry this is so short! i tried to write something earlier but my little brother had to use the computer. Whyyyyyyy
WolfGirl
Experienced Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Rogers on 4/4/2014, 8:12 am

Demetrius and Randi went on talking and laughing. But as the giggles began to die down, Randi's voice took on a more serious tone: "Look, I'm friends with a satyr who sometimes helps with dinner. His name is Astrov. If you want, I can go talk to him and he'll give you a couple of pointers on cooking,"

"Sweet!" Demetrius exclaimed. He was soft serving it: he was absolutely ecstatic about the whole idea. "Sounds awesome! You'd really do that for me?"

"Of course!" Randi exclaimed.

Suddenly, a figure tumbled out of the shrubbery. Startled, Demetrius screamed something in German and stumbled backwards, only to trip over a root and land on his butt. Randi watched the whole scene take place with an unimpressed look on her face. "Y'handled that well," She said, flatly. She was able to maintain calm eye contact for all of six seconds before both parties burst out in laughter.

Randi eventually calmed herself, turning back to greet the shadowy figure. "Hello!" Randi exclaimed, waving happily. "Don't mind my friend, here," She pointed at Demetrius. "He's not in control of his mental faculties," She whispered, loudly.

"Hey!"

Randi turned around briefly to flash Demetrius a cheeky grin. "Any who," she started, turning back to the mysterious camper. "That's Demetrius Feidler. And I'm Randi Thirteen. But you can call me Borg Queen," She extended a bionic hand for the camper to shake.
Steve Rogers
Retired Staff Member <3

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfGirl on 4/4/2014, 11:48 pm

"Are any of us?" Erin demanded playfully in response to the girl's statement about her companion, flashing a smile to hide her surprise. Her first reaction was to falter back, but after the initial shock of seeing them, she found it hard to look away. And after a second, it wasn't so bad.

The couple she had stumbled into were an intricate mixture of borrowed parts and pieces. Both appeared to have been through the mill several times at least. Tilting her head curiously to one side, she squinted. The boy especially looked as though he had been broken and stitched back together again by someone who didn't care enough to match the ragged scraps with the rest of him. The girl was different. She reminded Erin of a toy doll that a very small child had ripped apart and tried to put back together again. Like the boy, the job had been botched and the result was quite unsettling at first glance. But there was a kind of hideous charm in their brokenness. The sparkle in the girl's eyes made Erin want to smile, and she did so easily.

"M' name's Erin," Erin introduced herself. She took the bionic arm that had been extended to her and shook the cold, plastic fingers with her warm ones. "The hell are you guys doing out here?" She kept her tone light and amused, and a sincere spark of admiration worked its way into her words as well. She was honestly stunned at how they had managed to get all the way down here without hurting themselves. Then again, while their movements were disjointed and awkward, they were not particularly labored either. They must have been this way a while, or at least long enough to be used to become used to their extraordinary bodies. She marveled.
WolfGirl
Experienced Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Rogers on 4/5/2014, 1:17 am

Randi laughed. Turning back to face Demetrius, she said: "I like this one!"

Clearing her throat, Randi shot her new acquaintance a friendly grin. "Hello, Erin," She started. "To answer your question, we were in the kitchen (I was trying to teach Dem, here, how to cook), but then somebody-" She flashed Demetrius and accusing look. "-went and nearly burned the whole camp down,"

Demetrius groaned and rolled his eyes. "Stop exaggerating. I doubt the whole camp would've burned down. I mean, come on. The fire wasn't that big," Randi merely raised an eyebrow. Demetrius shuddered.

There was a sort of child-like quality to their bickering. Despite their Frankenstein-like appearance, their attitudes were light and happy. They weren't in denial about their situation: they knew very well that they were- for lack of a better phrase- hideous monsters. But by this point in their lives, they had both realized that being depressed and miserable about it wasn't going to do either of them any good. Randi had always been optimistic. But for the first time, perhaps ever, Demetrius was happy. All traces of the emotionally-broken boy were gone. The once dark, sad, golden eyes were now bright and filled with hope (and sass.)
Steve Rogers
Retired Staff Member <3

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfGirl on 4/6/2014, 10:16 pm

Erin laughed. "I can't cook to save my life," she chatted amiably. "Like, I can make pancakes and Ramen because that's basically all you need to survive in this economy, but if you told me to actually make food, I'd probably laugh and find the quickest excuse to leave." The words fell from her lips in a rush, as if she couldn't wait to be rid of them, or as if she had grasped language before learning the fine art of conversation. Her fawn-like eyes were bright with excitement, eager to please, anxious to find companionship. "Like, I remember this one time. Oh my gods, it was ridiculous, I shouldn't even be telling you this it was so bad. But before Will, older brother, left, he told me to watch these cookies bake, right? And I totally would have but I had a worse attention span than he did and I saw this really pretty bird and I swear I couldn't have looked away for long, but the next thing I knew the cookies were on fire. Completely fail. Anyway, Will comes running in and saves the day because that's what he does, and I haven't really done anything since then. Like, maybe I don't actually suck and I'm just extremely out of practice, but if you just almost burned the camp down we should never cook together. We might just give Hades the excuse he needs to move above ground."

The teenager was, simply, lonely. As a daughter of the god of sexual attraction, she spent a lot of time in frustration at her lack of any form of personal interaction that ended without her having to end things badly. She needed people, it was a base characteristic of human nature that her godly side only made all the more acute. But she feared people as well, and that's where the tension and the indecision came from. She stayed here with these two oddities because from one look she knew that there wasn't anything they could do to her if she didn't wish it. It were their horrific souvenirs that made her feel safe, that made the barrier she had built around herself fracture. There was too much inside, too much just waiting to burst from her after spending so much time hiding herself both physically and emotionally.

It was okay to talk to them. It would be alright if she allowed herself to become attached to them even. Maybe they could teach her how to be happy too.
WolfGirl
Experienced Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Rogers on 4/8/2014, 10:15 pm

Randi and Demetrius laughed and nodded, clearly taking great interest in her story. She was (by their standards) just another normal kid, and it wasn't often that normal people talked to them, given their appearances. So the two were relishing in the conversation, pretending, perhaps, that they were just a couple of normal kids having a normal conversation.

It was such a happy lie.

"Oh goll," Randi groaned, a small smile gracing the corners of her mouth. "Why is it that all my friends have some sort of pension for fire?"

OOC Sorry for the super short post!
Steve Rogers
Retired Staff Member <3

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfGirl on 4/13/2014, 9:54 pm

Erin laughed and raised her hands in an almost defensive posture, but her face was smiling and her shoulders were relaxed. "Because you have real sh!tty friends," she informed Randi, feeling as though her heart was about to burst out of her chest.

Friend. The girl had called her a friend. Erin didn't have a lot of friends. Well, she had Benjamin. Should she count Ben? They hadn't known each other too long, and besides, he was more interested in his old friend Mark as it was. So now she had two friends, two very bizarre and broken friends, but they liked her enough so far to call her their friend. She'd better not screw this up too soon.

"You guys need to get back up to camp before it gets too dark?" she inquired anxiously. Erin had no doubt that they were fully capable of taking care of themselves, but they either walked together further, slip up, or went back together. "My feet are starting to get cold."
WolfGirl
Experienced Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top