The Nike cabin

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Nike cabin

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/24/2014, 6:17 am

The Nike cabin is a building of white marble, which resembles the Nike temple on the Acropolis in Athens. There is a laurel leaves crown above the doorway and a statue of a winged Nike inside. In the cabin, there is an air of competition: a basketball hoop hangs on one wall, a flag of the Olympic games decorates one bunk bed, and a wrestling mat is placed on the floor. There is a Misa Kithara in one corner (the antique kithara is one of Nike's attributes), as well as a phiale on a table, and a collection of armors, most of them with a winner-award sash.

Cabin leaders
Laurel Victor
Holly Victor

Current active/canon occupants:

Darren
Julien
Sophia
Marcus

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 7/18/2017, 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female
Number of posts : 15684
Registration date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.
(My mystery box prizes: 2 god parent gifts+2 slots+1exotic pet)

Back to top Go down

Re: The Nike cabin

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/14/2016, 4:10 pm

It had been three days since Kanchana had arrived at this encampment. It felt like being in a totally different world. She wanted clean water? She had her very own tap in her cabin. A shower? Right over there. An actual bed? No problem.
She wasn't sleeping on the bed just yet, it was too soft for her. Instead she rolled herself in her blanket and slept on the carpet, which was really nice.

But the best aspect of everything was that a child of Apollo had accepted to try a treatment to heal her eyes. She didn't believe him really, but she wanted to. Oh boy, she wanted to so badly. He said it would probably take months, if not years, but that he would give it a try anyway. A blind demigod is too much of a hazard, to themselves, but also to others, he had said.

Which had gotten her thinking. She couldn't wait years in this camp to get her eyesight back, then start training. Right now, the only time she had been allowed in the arena was for a sword fight with another cabin, Demeter. Her opponent had been very nice and gentle, always telling her where she was about to hit to give her time to block.

But that wasn't training. That was not even enough. If she wanted to have a chance out there -- and Chiron had told her the dangers were very real -- she had to be able to defend herself. And there ought to be someone in this camp who could help her do that without needing to tell her which leg they were about to stab. That would never happen in a real fight, so why should it happen at training?

She didn't know a lot of people at camp. Douglas had already been assigned to his next mission, in Oregon, so she wouldn't be seeing him for a while. Which made her sad... she had grown very fond of the satyr. He was one of the only people she had ever felt safe with, and she was a little jealous that he had left to take care of a different demigod than her.
But she couldn't change it. Instead, she had remembered the two guardians she had met on her very first day. If you need anything, ask for these two. The girl had seemed nice enough, but nice was not what Kanchana needed. The boy, on the other hand... he was the son of the goddess of victory. That, she could work with.

So here she was, led by a camper from a neighbour cabin to the steps of the Nike pavilion. Extending her hands hesitantly, she touched wood and retraced the carvings with her fingertips. Alright. A door. She knocked on it twice.
Immediately, a scuffle-like noise could be heard from inside.

"Me first!"

"No, me!"

The door flew open. "Hah. Eat my shorts, Laurel." The two voices were definitely feminine. There was a short pause, then the girl resumed: "How can I help you?"

"Is Julien here?" Kanchana asked in a quiet voice.

"Yep. Julien!" She heard the girl's footsteps go back in. "There's someone for you at the door."

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 12/30/2016, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/14/2016, 5:58 pm

"Really?" Julien wasn't expecting any visitors. Crap, he wasn't expecting anything, at least not during a spare hour. He was just swiping away on his laptop, flipping between Speedhunters and The Players Tribune on the black HP. He didn't pay any mind to Holly and Laurel's mad dash for the door; those two were always trying to one-up each other.

But since there was someone at the door who clearly wanted him, the seventeen year-old Swiss slid off of his bunk - the elevated one of his unit - and walked towards the door. He was dressed casually, wearing a dark blue "Red Bull Racing" t-shirt and some blue jeans - a standard outfit for a sparing session. His shoes were off and back in his footlocker, leaving a pair of grass-stained socks visible to the the world. The celestial bronze Heuer watch was strapped to his wrist, and it was the only thing that had remotely any class.

Not that looking classy mattered to Julien - this was camp, not some black-tie end-of-season team or league dinner that his father dragged him to - or his inquiring visitor. In fact, he could've been in his underwear and still have a pass from her. It was that new girl, Khancha or something, and she still looked pretty much the same since their first meeting. She was still gaunt, she still had that crazily long hair, and by the way her eyes look, she was still blind.

Julien passed the two sisters, stopping at the door and rested his weight against the frame. He gave the girl another look over, a subtle smirk soon forming between his cheeks. "I see you took Doug's words to heart;" he started, switching his tongue from accented English to Ancient Greek; "So, how can I help you?"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2015-08-05

View user profile http://westernracingcom.proboards.com/#

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/15/2016, 12:35 am

Kanchana's eyes looked up as she heard his voice, her gaze resting somewhere on his forehead. "Could you be my sparring teacher?" she directly asked. She was not one to beat around the bush.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/15/2016, 4:36 am

Of all the things Julien imagined to be asked, being someone's mentor was not one of those. It was actually pretty strange to him that she seeked out a Nike kid to be a combat mentor, but then again, cabin five isn't the most approachable, especially with such a mockable disability. Regardless, Julien's surprise was offset by a feeling of pride that someone would come to him for something, and it was this sense that his decision was based off of.

A few seconds of silent thinking passed after Kanchana spoke, and that silence was broken by "Sure, we can do that. Though I think there's a few other things we need to hit on before any sparing starts."
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/15/2016, 6:05 am

"Like what?" she asked. She was a beginner, and she was also eager to know how to wield the sword she was carrying at her side, so that she could defend herself. The Demeter cabin counsellor had given her a sword from the armory for her to spar with. She had been surprised by its weight and was still trying to get accustomed to how heavy it was.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/15/2016, 6:20 am

"Well, for starters, it's critical that you get into shape. You can't just run into battle looking like someone from an UNICEF ad, so we'll have put some muscle and fat on you; give your body some definition and a break from all the lactic acid you've been burning through."

It's not like Julien knew about Khancha's past, so the UNICEF comment wasn't of ill-intent - that didn't make it sound any less insensitive though.

"And then there's your hair, which is longer than the line of nerds outside of an Apple Store when a new iPhone gets released. And hair that long will be a nuisance in battle, getting in your way and providing the enemy an easy place to grab you. Of course, we can simply have it cut shorter, so that's not nearly as much of an ordeal as gaining body mass."

Last edited by redline2400 on 6/21/2016, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/15/2016, 2:37 pm

Kanchana remained neutral for the first part of what he said, but grew a bit sad at what he said next. "My..." My hair? She loved her hair. She loved draping herself in it, she loved the way it twirled around her when she danced. Even combing it made her really happy.
Well, do you want to be pretty or do you want to stay alive?

She sighed after a moment. "Alright. How short should it be?"
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/15/2016, 3:11 pm

"I'd say shoulders, maybe a centimeter or two longer, but not much longer than that. Honestly, I'd go talk to the Aphrodite kids about having your hair cut; they'd know more about hair than I do."
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/15/2016, 4:12 pm

Aphrodite cabin. She remembered the smell when Douglas and her had passed it on her guided tour, first day. "I'll get my hair cut this afternoon," Kanchana declared. "When do we start training?"
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/15/2016, 5:28 pm

"Well, if you really feel like training, I'd say you need a weapon. Do you have a weapon already, or are we going to have to crawl around the armory looking for one?" Julien figured that the armory would have something that would fit her, as it seemed everything from some ancient hero's well-loved kopis to the CB bowie knife of some demigod that served in 'Nam could be uncovered in that place. Of course, she could always make her own weapon, but forging blind isn't the safest of activities even by demigod standards.

Last edited by redline2400 on 6/17/2016, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/16/2016, 12:32 am

She gestured to the blade at her hip. "I've got a sword."
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/16/2016, 4:42 am

Julien looked to her side, his face red with embarrassment. Here was a blind girl who literally, like, couldn't see anything and he's failing to notice obvious things like swords.

"Alright, alright... So, wanna step back so I can get out? I want to see how you fight."
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/16/2016, 2:25 pm

Kanchana stepped back carefully, making sure it was really grass under her feet and not another step. "I can't fight yet, that's why I came to you," she said. "All I can do is swing my sword and hope it hits you in the neck."
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/16/2016, 8:28 pm

The son of Nike let out a chuckle. "Don't worry, you're just new to this; you'll figure out how to fight eventually. I just want to see how you can handle that sword of yours." Without much of a pause, Julien took Kanchana by the hand and began leading her to the center of the common area. "Come on, we're going to the pit!"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/17/2016, 1:43 am

Kanchana followed him, making sure to walk behind him in case there were obstacles ahead she needed to avoid. Douglas had told her about the pit, describing it as a kind of rectangular swimming pool with no water. They stepped down into it and Kanchana put her hand on the pommel of her sword. "Is it here?"
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/17/2016, 8:53 am

Julien nodded, though he still said "Yeah, we're here" because a nod wouldn't suffice with Kanchana. "Alright Khancha, you stand here and when you hear me coming for you, get ready to attack. Ok?"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/17/2016, 1:18 pm

"Okay." She unsheathed her sword and gripped it tight, trying not to get distracted by the weight of the weapon. She glanced around in total darkness, as if she could see, all her focus was on her ears. Years of standing in open spaces had trained her to notice the smallest of noises, and now she had another chance to put that to her advantage.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/17/2016, 4:47 pm

"Great!" Julien then took off for the opposite end of the rectangular pit. When he reached the far side, he pulled a crescent wrench from his back pocket and spun the deliberately loose adjuster out all the way, turning the tool into a xiphos, and a heavily modified one at that. Next, he took the Heuer watch on his left arm and pushed in it's adjusting knob, a smaller than average (but still large enough to be useful) shield soon sprouted from the celestial bronze timepiece.

Gripping the cold handle of the incognito shield, Julien took a look at his...student (?) across the pit. Her sword was out and the gaunt Indian looked somewhat ok with it in her hands. Though the blade probably hasn't been used all that hard, he thought, because of the PC nature of the majority of the camp's kids most likely made most of her fights one sided aided affairs. She probably didn't want that, not if she was coming to him. You don't talk to one of the most competitive kids at camp and expect an easy fight.

Taking a deep breath, the son of Nike cleared his head of everything unrelated to the moment. His dad's final run at LeMans didn't matter, the Euros didn't matter, NBA and NHL finals didn't matter, not even his love for that daughter of Hephaestus, Sawyer, mattered. All that mattered was Kanchana and how well she could fight.

His mind now clear, Julien lifted up his xiphos and began his charge towards Kanchana.
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/17/2016, 5:39 pm

Her head turned to the other side of the pit as she heard strange metallic noises. What was that? Soon after she heard approaching footsteps and quiet breathing, and knew it was time. She raised her blade, but she had no clue what she was doing. Here she was protecting her torso, but what if Julien decided to swing at her legs? What if he decided to take out her shoulder? She made a circle with her blade, sweeping it in a spiral in front of her body, though her movement was rendered insecure by the heaviness of bronze. Short of ideas, she just gripped her sword with two hands.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/18/2016, 8:22 am

About ten or so feet away from Kanchana, Julien kicked his legs out and got into a slide, his momentum carrying him right past her. Only a few feet behind her, he stopped himself and got up, lifting up his xiphos and bringing it down on her right shoulder.
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/21/2016, 2:03 am

Her head turned, following the movement, but she was taken by surprise when she felt something cold and sharp on her shoulder. Is that his sword? she wondered and made a movement with hers, trying to tap his blade away with her own. She was seconds too late though, in a real fight he would've cut through her shoulder.

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 6/21/2016, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/21/2016, 9:30 am

The two blades collided, a loud metallic CLANG coming from the impact of Kanchana's sword with Julien's. As soon as contact was made though, Julien slid his xiphos out from under the Indian's sword and made a move for the opposite leg, hoping to make contact with her just hard enough to let her know she had been hit.
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 6/21/2016, 4:45 pm

"Ouch," she breathed, instinctively drawing her leg back. Was she bleeding? She didn't know. Awkwardly waving her sword in front of her, she took a couple of steps back and waited.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/21/2016, 5:07 pm

The swords once again clashed, and then Julien tried for his "opponent's" arm, aiming to knock the sword out of her hands via her nerves.
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next