stumbling in the shallows

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

stumbling in the shallows

Post by kayla on 7/15/2014, 4:36 pm

Leila stands barefoot in the lake, just a little ways from the coast surrounding the large body of water, leaning down with her hair tied up in a ponytail. Through the clear water she can see her paleish feet beneath her as she puts her hand in the water and works to moving around the rocks. Her sword which she always carried around everywhere was attached to her hip, the bottom of the scabbard dipping into the water and getting wet. She had tied up her camp half blood shirt so the long ends didn't annoy her as she tried searching for something. That something was a necklace that she might've threw into the lake in pent up anger that she had stored in her for so long. Mostly it was anger at herself. Now she just regretted behaving like that, her grandfather always told her that the best outlet for anger was peace. Meditation. She always mediated with him before he passed but now she never meditated as much so all her anger became a ball of rage. She sighed, pushing back a flyaway strand of hair behind her ear with a wet hand.

Last edited by kayla vern on 7/17/2014, 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female
Number of posts : 1055
Registration date : 2013-12-01

View user profile http://www.wattpad.com/user/ReadersForLife

Back to top Go down

Re: stumbling in the shallows

Post by Sammy on 7/16/2014, 9:46 pm

Colin was humming an old Bob Dylan tune and skipping rocks across the pristine water. It was a relaxed summer day, and he was planning on leaving that day for a trip to the Smoky Mountains for some rock climbing, maybe even some rappelling. He had packed everything already, and he had enough taxi money to take him there, if he walked some of the way on foot. Now, he just had to waste some time. He pushed up his glasses and let the cold water brush up against his feet. That, and something a bit more solid.

Colin leaned forward and fluently scooped up a small object out of the water. Now, Colin wasn't the kind of boy to know that much about jewelry, but he had the common sense to tell the difference between a rock and a necklace. And this? This was definitely a necklace.

The blonde rinsed some of the remaining sand off and studied his treasure. It was kind of cool, he guessed, it might've been worth a few miles of a taxi ride. He would jump off a cliff for it.

Then again, Colin would jump off a cliff for anything.

Looking around to find the owner of this jewel (because, while seeing people jump off a cliff was fun, someone could actually want this back), he saw a girl around his age stumbling in the water.
Sammy

Female
Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2014-05-12

View user profile http://www.uniquely-unoriginal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/17/2014, 1:02 am

"Shibal!" Leila cursed in Korean, making a fist and hitting the water in front of her as it stung her palm. She crouched on her knees and brought her hands up to her face with a sigh. She could feel her calves and knees getting wet but she didn't care. It'd dry off later. Maybe it just wasn't in this area, maybe she just had to keep looking. She stood back up and scratched the back off her head as she moved to another area of where she might've though it landed when she saw a boy.

He looked like a regular camper, around her age, blonde hair with glasses, and pretty tall from what she could see from here (although everyone was taller than her). But he himself wasn't what caught her attention. It was what he was holding in his hand. She let out a startled yelp and started running over to him which was not a good idea seeing as: 1.) She was in the water 2.) She was barefoot and 3.) She had an extremely clumsy nature

Halfway to the boy who held what she presumed to be her necklace, she fell on her face. Leila pushed herself up and gasped for air, wiping the water out of her eyes as she coughed. How embarrassing. Though she was sure that her cheeks were pink she gave a smile to the boy in front of her, her eyes darting between his face and the necklace in his hand.

"Come out for a swim too?" She managed as she stood back up and unrolled the tie that held her shirt and squeezed the water out of it.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/17/2014, 1:22 pm

Colin's lip twitched upward as he closed the remaining gap between him and the girl. Upon first glanced, Colin guessed she was an Aphrodite girl. I mean, not that he was falling in love or anything. No, he didn't really "date" anymore. But she did have the looks, and he could see why someone would.

"Nah, just being the hero I always am. I'm guessing you're the hopeless victim today?" He replied sarcastically, in a somewhat humble that only a McDaniels could manage. "In other words, is this yours?" He held out the necklace tenderly, suddenly realizing that it might be a cleverly concealed weapon.

"Colin McDaniels. I'm a son of Serket. And I'm guessing you're an...Aphrodite child?" He said, keeping a straight face. Most people would use this as a pickup line or something, but Colin was just honestly guessing.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/17/2014, 1:53 pm

"I wouldn't necessarily say 'victim' but yes that is indeed my necklace you have there so if you don't mind. . ." Leila trailed off, gently clasping her hand around her necklace before she put it back on. Once it rested on her chest she gave out a relieved sigh and smiled back up at the boy. His name was Colin, a son of Serket. Her eyes widened and her grin broadened as she bounced slightly on her feet. She wiped her hands dry on her shorts though it didn't help much since they were wet as well.

"Nice to meet you Colin. I'm Leila," Leila greeted as she held out her hand and took it upon herself to grab his hand and shake it eagerly. "Serket's an Egyptian goddess right? That's really cool, I've never met an Egyptian kid before. Well I'm sure I've seen some around but never really got a chance to talk to them."

Before he introduced himself, she couldn't help but peg him as either an Apollo or Athena child. She naturally sucked at trying to guess someone's godly parent anyway so it didn't matter either way.

"And to answer your question- no. I'm not a child of Aphrodite although I will take that as a compliment no matter what you meant by it. I'm actually a daughter of Epione, Mom's not part of the big twelve." Leila added with a small shrug.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/17/2014, 6:57 pm

Colin nodded. She sure was bubbly, but not in the usual annoying way. It was a bit more...open. She didn't go on about nonsense. But she kind of did...oh, whatever.

"So, do you usually trip on your face when you're running? Not judging or anything, I mean, if you enjoy falling that's not an issue. Its just a bit of an unusual hobby," Colin sat back down, leaning back on his hands in the sand. He unstrapped his backpack's chest strap and watched as it turned into two maces and his spiked shield.

Now, while Colin wasn't the type of kid to enjoy a tan, he did like some shade, which explained why he propped up his shield in the sand to create a small, shady area which he laid down and rested his head under.

"Also, how did that necklace end up in the water? Late night swim with your boyfriend?" Colin assumed she had a boyfriend. A girl like her, in a camp like this? Yep. Definitely not single.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/17/2014, 7:25 pm

"Haha funny," Leila remarked sarcastically with a small smile as she rolled her eyes. "No its not a habit. I'm just cursed with two left feet and a knack for being terribly clumsy at the worst moments."

Her eyes widened when his backpack turned into two maces and a shield. That was really cool, she thought to herself, she had got to get herself one of those one day. She plopped herself to sit down next to him, ignoring how the sand stuck to her legs. She took off her sword so it didn't prod at her so uncomfortably and laid it beside her, checking to see if there were any scratches on the scabbard. She liked her things to be clean and smooth. With a satisfied look, she set it back down and looked back over to Colin who had made a little shade for him to rest under. She laughed when he joked that she had taken a late night swim with her totally nonexistent boyfriend and that was how she had lost her necklace.

She took another look at him and stopped laughing with a confused face, "Oh you were serious? Oops sorry for laughing but no that's not how I lost it since I don't even have a boyfriend or girlfriend for that matter. Let's just say I have . . . questionable ways on dealing with anger."
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/17/2014, 7:34 pm

"Wait, so you killed your boyfriend, then went for a swim?" Colin joked, "But seriously, I get that. Most people think I'm crazy for jumping off of cliffs when I'm annoyed. Speaking of which, I better get going. I'm on my way to the Smokies for some rappelling. If I don't leave now, I'll never make it before dark," Colin said, checking his sports watch. Wow, time really did go by fast. He stood up quickly, dusting off his shorts, before picking up his shield and maces.

He was about to press the button on either of the weapon's bases when he heard a low growl. Turning around quickly, he saw nothing, and quickly brushed it off as hid over active imagination.

"I really wish I could stay a bit longer...Leila, was it? But I really got to go ahead and leave,"
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/17/2014, 8:07 pm

"The Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee? Sounds fun! Just don't get annoyed and decide to throw yourself off the cliff." Leila she stood up after he did, brushing off the sand that clung to her bare skin. The hair on the back of her neck stood up as she felt something in her want to run. That was the prey instinct in her that felt a predator's gaze on her. She picked up her sword and sheathed it, pretending to dust off the back of the already clean blade but really just holding it in her sense of paranoia.

"That's a shame, when you get back we should talk again! You're a pretty cool guy and as reward for finding my necklace I really should grace you with my awesome presence." She joked, raising her hand to wave him off when she felt it again. That predatory gaze. Her eyebrows furrowed and her hand faltered as she turned around to see if anything was actually there.

Don't be silly, monster attacks are pretty rare this far within the border, she reminded herself though she couldn't shake off her unease. Leila gripped her sword tightly as she adjusted the scabbard back onto her hip.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/17/2014, 8:31 pm

"Yeah, that would be-" There was another growl, and this time he was certain heard it. He turned around quickly, dropping his shield and kicking it away. He transferred one of his maces to his other hand, and with a twitch of his wrist, sent it into a spinning motion, creating a shield of spikes and chain. He held the other out to his side, ready to use it offensively.

Colin looked around, searching for the source of the growl. Suddenly, two large beaks appeared, followed by feather covered heads and fur covered bodies.

"Are those griffins? Did Greece even have griffins?" Colin asked, a bit confused. He was used to the griffins if Egyptian mythology, but these appeared to be part eagle, not half falcon.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/17/2014, 9:20 pm

Leila instinctively wielded her sword with sharp precision and trained her narrowed eyes to the large birdlike creatures behind them. Griffins. Looks like she was wrong, you could get attacked this deep within the borders. Honestly, why did they even bother if it didn't work?

"Well kind of, they appeared mostly in the arts and lore of Ancient Greece but I've never actually considered the fact that they were actually real in this sense," She answered. The griffins were moderately bigger than the two of them, their large wings spreading upwards almost as if it were stretching. It's tail flickered casually and the two griffins began to stalk towards her and Colin with the grace of a leopard. Although she really should say lion since they were made up of half of it. Their talons dug into the sand and Leila flickered her eyes back to the boy beside her who gripped his maces.

"You take the one on the left, I'll take the one on the right?" She asked with her eyes now directly back on the two griffins.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/17/2014, 10:12 pm

"Sounds good to me," He replied, ready to fight. The griffin on the left picked up speed, probably sensing the adrenaline rushing through Colin's body, and pounced.

Colin ducked and rolled to the side. Something with such a large body would take its time turning back around, right? Hopefully. Colin began to run jumped blindly, landing on the rear of the massive beast. He climbed up further onto the beast's back, trying to grip the fur and his maces without falling off. The creature was beginning to shake vigorously.

Colin finally reached the base of the creature's neck, but he was gripping the wings for dear life. He hooked his legs around the base of the Griffin's wings.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/18/2014, 12:45 am

While Colin happily obliged and went to go fight his own griffin, Leila was staring off with hers. It screeched and charged forward with what seemed like a war cry. It swiped it's sharp talons, reaching for her face but she dodged the attack and faced it head on. Quickly, she slashed at it's eyes, wincing a bit as she thought of how it might hurt. She immediately turned that away, she couldn't afford to think like that in a battle. It bucked around wildly and hit in utter fury and she was pretty sure she'd blinded it.

She made the mistake of looking over at Colin who looked like he was riding it or something. Its tail hitingt her square in the chest, effectively knocking the wind out of her. Leila struggled to her feet and looked back up to see the griffins' claws ready to dig into her. She rolled over just in time and fell into the water. She resurfaced with a gasp and growled. That was her second time today.

The blind griffin went on a rampage, making incoherent noises and flapped its wings in distress. She had to put the poor thing out of it's misery. But how the hell was she going to manage to do that? She could roll under it and stab it's heart from underneath but that seemed nearly impossible since it was running around like crazy. Leila got up and wiped the blood off her sword with her shirt. She'd manage to do it somehow.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/18/2014, 1:44 am

Colin was not very smart when it came to doing battle. He was skilled, but he wasn't smart. Which explained why the first thing he did was dig his heels into the thing's sides.

It was like the thing was a horse or something. In a way, it was kind of humorous. The griffin took off into the air, flapping wildly, and it could fly fast. They were probably getting into some 7-foot water now, and they'd only been in the air for 90 seconds. Colin took the opportunity to sling both of his flail-style maces under the creature's neck. The chains barely held, but the reliable metal stayed, and the creature began to choke.

And fall.

Now do you see what I meant when I said he wasn't exactly "smart"?

Colin and the beast landed in the water with a heavy splash, and Colin was dragged underwater as the side of the creature landed on his foot. He winced and yanked it out, his adrenaline still a bit too high to feel the pain. The poor creature sat flapping under the surface as Colin swam up and breathed in oxygen. He swam back under and quickly grabbed his maces, pressing the button on the ends of them and ducking as his shield flew over towards him and the trio transformed into his orange cloth backpack.

OOC: Sorry if I powerplayed in this xD
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/18/2014, 3:31 am

"Pigeon brain, over here!" Leila shouted as she clanged her sword on the rocks hoping to draw the beast in. She even contemplated drawing out her blood in case it could smell it better though she preferred not to. Even without the blood it worked and the griffin ran in the direction of her voice. It attacked wildly since it couldn't see and didn't necessarily meet her goal of being able to get underneath it. Somehow she had ended up clinging to it's side, holding on for dear life as it went on and bucked around. Usually she liked roller coasters and this somewhat felt like one but holding onto a griffin while it becomes like one of those mechanical bulls that tried to throw you off wasn't very fun right now.

She fell off as her grip loosened on it's lion body and she landed with a thud! It completely towered over her and its striked, it's talons scratching her arm and tearing through the skin. Despite the pain she was just infuriated. Once it started bleeding, it'd be a pain. She gritted her teeth and as the griffin's beak came closer to peck at her, she grabbed her sword and managed to drive it in it's neck. It's blood splattered across her face as she took out her sword and stood up, pushing it's slump body off of her.

Leila flicked her sword, trying to get the blood off of it. She resigned and settled on wiping the warm scarlet liquid on her shorts. She made a face. How unpleasant.

OOC: You didn't seem to be at least not to me xD And sorry if it was a bit gruesome on how she killed it, she gets a bit. . .carried away and violent when she's caught up in battle
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/18/2014, 1:33 pm

OOC: Its fine xD

BIC: Colin finally managed to make it to shore as Leila stabbed the thing in the neck. Knowing that she was now fine, he rested against the sand. His muscles ached, and he was just starting to feel the sting in his foot. Probably twisted, hopefully not broken. Broken bones were a pain in the butt.

In the distance, he saw the splashes in the water start to diminish as the creature ran out of air. Colin felt no sympathy, as the griffin was a killer, and killing a killer stopped people from getting hurt. That's what Arista would've said, right?

Colin shook the thoughts of the girl out of his head. Reaching behind him, he shrugged off his now-drenched backpack, pulled out some ambrosia, and began to use his shirt to clean off his glasses. Gods, if only contacts didn't suck.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/18/2014, 10:04 pm

Leila was feeling utterly gross. She was drenched, had sand all over her, and blood coating her everywhere like she was a magnet for it or something. She winced, poking at the wound on her arm. It's claws cut pretty deep but not deep enough that she had to obsess over it and run off into the infirmary. Usually she kept emergency ambrosia with her but she had left it in one of her pockets of her jacket which she left on her bunk. So she settled for using her sword to cut off a strip of her shirt to tie around it to put pressure and hold off the bleeding.

She couldn't really feel much painful although it did sting. Maybe her being a daughter of Epione disabled some of the pain. She sighed, putting her sword away and began retying her hair as she walked over to where Colin sat. She glanced back over to where the dead griffin in the water was and sat down next to him, her hair tie in her mouth so her voice was a little incoherent when she talked.

"Do you still think you'll be able to make it to the mountains before dark? Sun doesn't seem to be setting until maybe 3 or 4 hours though I don't see how you'll be able to get there that fast." Leila spoke, taking out her hair tie and tying up her wavy hair. She grimaced a bit when she wiped off some blood off her arm. Ugh, she really needed a shower.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/19/2014, 12:49 am

"Probably not, but there's always next week. My friends won't miss me. They think I'm off in Arizona doing some highlining, so they won't be surprised if I cancel," Colin really didn't have any friends out side of camp, but that probably was what his dad thought.

Colin sat, rolling his ankle back and forth. He knew by now it wasn't broken, thank the gods. It was twisted pretty badly, though. He winced as a fresh shot of pain hit him. Trying to avoid actually using the ambrosia, he stood up and put his weight on the injured foot, trying to convince it to stop hurting.

Of course, that was when he saw the cloth wrapped around her arm. Colin remembered how sharp those talons looked, and winced. "Hey, I got some ambrosia if you want it," He said, kicking the plastic bag up with his uninjured foot and offering it to her.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/19/2014, 12:43 pm

"Hm? Oh thanks." Leila said giving him a smile of gratitude before she broke off a part of the ambrosia square and dropped it in her mouth. The taste of homemade shoyu ramen flooded her mouth and she sighed in content when she remembered how her father would always make that for her whenever they didn't have a lot of time to prepare a proper dinner. It tasted like home.

As the ambrosia began to heal her slowly, she glanced at Colin to see him stand up and putting his weight on his what she assumed, injured foot. She bet his ankle was either twisted, sprained, or broken. But either one it must hurt like hell.

"I can help you cope with the pain if you want. One of the perks of being an Epione kid," Leila winked before giving a thumbs up. Well she could help him for a while by taking away his pain but technically, the aftereffects of it could help tone it down she guessed. "All I have to do is hold your hand."
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/19/2014, 1:51 pm

Colin shrugged. He preferred to stick to the traditional way of healing: Bite your tongue, wince a bit, and just push through. Ambrosia and nectar...he had his personal reasons for not using that. But this?

"I'll try it," Colin stated. He definitely wasn't the kind of guy to say no just to look tough. Yeah...Practically everyone in camp knew Colin wasn't tough. Especially after the tree climbing incident. Now that had hurt.

Colin offered her his hand, tentatively waiting for her to take it. Only then did it hit him that he was about to hold hands with a girl. Wow. That hadn't happened in two years, at least.

Now, I know this sounds unrealistic, children, but she did die right in front of him. He's practically determined to shove every female romantic interest away. Did I ever tell you what happened to that one clingy Aphrodite kid? No? Well, I'll have to tell you some other time, seeing how we're on a bit of a schedule here.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/19/2014, 3:38 pm

Leila hummed softly under her breath, taking Colin's hand without hesitation and clasping it in both of hers. She took a small intake of breath and exhaled. A tingling sensation started in her chest, gradually becoming smoother and spreading throughout her body until it reached her fingertips where it was passed into Colin's hand. Eventually it'd be the same for him too, the warmth flooding throughout his body until it reached where it hurt and it'd take that pain and transfer it over to her. Her power was a weird one. She thought of it as something in her that went into someone else to get something from them and bring it back to her.

When the transfer came back to her, she gripped his hand a bit tighter out of habit to prepare for the incoming wave. His pain being passed onto her came like how water laps at the sand on a beach and since the relaxation in her body was still there she could easily erase that pain, erasing it away with that soothing feeling. Though it was gone, she could feel the reminisce of that pain in her own ankle to the extent that it felt a bit sore.

Leila withdrew her hand away from his own lightly and rubbed them together to recover the feeling in them. After she used her power, her hands usually became numb from being the linking point between her and the other person. She gave Colin a smile, "How's your ankle doing now?"
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/19/2014, 3:48 pm

Colin was startled as the tingly warmth entered his body, traveling down to his ankle and almost yanking the pain away. He was actually a bit jealous when he felt  he tighten her hands around his. He resisted the urge to ask her if she was okay, knowing from experience that concentration was vital when using a power. Last time someone interrupted him, there'd been snakes in the girl's bathroom for days. Not to mention that headache he got when the entire population of the bathroom tried wacking him on the head with a shovel. Ooh, that was fun to watch.

As Leila let go, he wiped his hands on his shirt. He wasn't exactly used to someone holding onto him so tightly, not that he minded her grip.

"Wow, that's some great stuff," He replied, twisting his ankle and feeling nothing but a small numb throbbing. "I'm actually kind of jealous right now,"

Last edited by The Landlord's Daughter on 7/19/2014, 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/19/2014, 4:44 pm

"Shame it only works on other people seeing how much I get hurt," Leila laughed. "Do you have any powers?"

No one was ever jealous of her powers, usually people just said "Weird" or "Thanks" after she was done with them. It was a nice change to hear that someone though it was cool or something. Being the son of Serket, she wondered what he might be able to do if he did have powers. Probably something with scorpions or snakes since Serket was the goddess of venomous creatures.

She rolled her ankle a bit feeling a slight sting and she sighed. It'd be there for a while as an aftereffect. It wasn't too bad though, it'd be gone by the time she went to bed.
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy on 7/19/2014, 5:02 pm

"Depends on if you're scared of snakes," He answered, pushing up his glasses. Most girls would run away when he said that, though he found it hard to believe that Leila would. She seemed a bit different than everyone else at camp. A bit more...perfectly meant for him spunky? no, that wasn't it.

"But seriously, I would stand back if I were you," Colin replied,  stepping away from her a bit. Taking off his glasses and folding them into his pocket, he winked at her, before closing his eyes and waiting.

A small group of hognose snakes, maybe three or so, rose from the sandy silt and slithered towards him. He opened his eyes and shifted his glasses back on, before picking one of them up and motioning her over. "Ever pet a snake before?" He asked, as he let the snake coil around his arm.

OOC: I'll be gone for a week. I'm going to Argentina. Gods, I feel really bad about this. Thought we might be able to finish before then.
Sammy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kayla on 7/19/2014, 9:09 pm

"Of course I'm not afraid of snakes, gods what do you take me for?" Leila responded to him. She was offended. She didn't seem like a coward or something did she? Sure she got peevish at a bit of gore but other than that, she considered herself slightly fearless if she did say so herself.

Her cheeks flushed just a bit when he winked at her and she looked away a bit. What was up with her? She didn't really get like this around people. Well but then again most people weren't mildly good looking and witty and a certain son of Serket. She was broken out of her embarrassing train of thought when three snakes rose out of the sand and slithered over towards Colin. She stared in amazement as he picked one of them up and let it coil around his arm.

Leila shook her head and jumped up immediately and ran over to him, eagerly wanting to touch the snake. Her eyes shone bright with excitement and any sort of nervousness or fear was thrown out of the window. All she could think was, oh gods thats so cool.

"Wow that's so cool," She said speaking out her thoughts. She outstretched her hand, running a delicate finger over from its head to its tail. "Can I hold it?" She asked a bit out of breath in total utter awe.

OOC: Ooh Argentina? Sounds fun! And it's partially my fault since I'm slow in replying Dx When do you leave?
kayla
Dedicated Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next