A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

New layout

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Do you like the new site layout?
Yes, it's beautiful!
New layout - Page 2 Vote_lcap51%New layout - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 51% [ 20 ]
No I hate it, put the old one back!
New layout - Page 2 Vote_lcap49%New layout - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 49% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 39

AuthorMessage
Alpha Wolf
Non-conforming Criminal Mastermind
Alpha Wolf

Male
Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2012-02-25

New layout - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2014, 6:22 pm

"Real Percy Jackson Fan"

Uhm..I could go on with my thoughts about that. But it'd piss me off too much
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2014, 6:24 pm

Ahh sorry
Back to top Go down
Watsky
Watsky

Female
Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2014, 6:51 pm

?? That wasn't offensive at all?? They were probably saying when they started to actually like PJO? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mabel pines
gun.
mabel pines

Female
Number of posts : 8785
Registration date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2014, 6:52 pm

THIS IS A TOPIC ABOUT THE LAYOUT. NOT AN ARGUMENT TOPIC. PLEASE KEEP THAT OUT OF HERE. THANK YOU.

aurora/catherine/jules/whoever the hell else mentioned it: A LOT OF PEOPLE have commented on the icons. this is not new. i am talking to morgan about getting better ones. this includes forum icons, edit/new topic/new post buttons, all of that.

jules_mcgules: we didn't do purple for the romans. someone else made the picture up top. normally it is gray. we changed it to a more wintery color for winter. i've said that twice already. THIS IS WHAT IT NORMALLY WILL LOOK LIKE. THIS IS HOW IT WILL LOOK AFTER DECEMBER. PLEASE LOOK HERE BEFORE GOING ON ABOUT PURPLE AND ROMANS.

aurora: the center bit of this layout takes up 80% of your screen. the center bit of the old layout takes up 80% of the screen. the only difference is the last one had a kind of ugly non repeating background and this one has a simpler more subtle properly repeating background that has been set to a fixed position. there should be no change in the amount of space.

i apologize for being harsh but PLEASE read all the comments made already; all the feedback we're getting now is old information. PLEASE MAKE SURE NOBODY HAS COMMENTED ON IT ALREADY. if i get one more comment on the icons or the purple i will surely scream. this entire topic is open for you to read. i'll be editing the points we've gone over already to the first post so everyone has them right there at their fingertips so we don't get ten more comments about icons and purple.

morgan and i are also talking about changing it permanently to the summer/spring icons. they're green and would allow for a more summer campy look.

View user profile http://glitteratti.tumblr.com/
Jules_Mcguelz
Jules_Mcguelz

Female
Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2014, 7:47 pm

oh, jeez, I didn't mean I wanted to tear apart the layout, i meant the movie. I think the layout is gorgeous, I just don't think it resembles the site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia
Morgan Landry

Female
Number of posts : 15735
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/28/2014, 5:22 am

This is to discuss the layout, not the movies.
And we've gone down that road, the old layout didn't exactly capture Camp Half-Blood either.

However, on the topic of the movies.

I would just like to say that the graph forum I'm on does graphic headers. They don't work with drawings, else I would've sent Viria or Burdge Bug a message asking if I could use their work for the layout of this site; no they work with pictures, stills, HD images. I had to get actors. So where do I get them? The Percy Jackson movies. I actually spent a crap ton of time finding large HD pictures of them that'd fit here, the graph people are picky and thats good because the better the images, the better the header. I'm not exactly fond of the movies either but it wouldn't exactly have "captured" CHB if I had put pictures of say, Ashley Benson or Alex Pettyfer, right? Because they have nothing to do with the Percy Jackson universe

Click on the gifs

New layout - Page 2 Tumblr_oh5m9mlVOv1sz4dg2o2_540
New layout - Page 2 Tumblr_oh5m9mlVOv1sz4dg2o4_540

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.
(My mystery box prizes: 2 god parent gifts+2 slots+1exotic pet)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davis
JAEGERRRRRRR
Davis

Female
Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/28/2014, 1:10 pm

My two cents:

Hey hey. I'm no expert, but I'm definitely a little older than most of you. Now, let me clarify before anything, that does not make my opinion more important in any way, shape, or form. All it means is that I've spent quite a bit of time on many, many rp sites.

I also used to create graphics, and my hobbies line towards art. So I work a bit with colors.

So, let's go over the old design in comparison to new.

The old one had a banner. It was very large, and very orange. Not a dull orange, either. But a vibrant, eyecatching orange. Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the banner. From what I remember? It was maybe like an inch of text that said "Camp Half Blood" in some sort of pointed text, and then a symbol thing. Of a horse? Idk. it was black like the text. And then it was SPACE. Lots of space with lots of orange. Pretty bland, pretty simple.

Now, then to the background. It was grey, which for starters does not go well with orange when you have that much orange blank space. A little bit of orange can be alright with grey, but it seemed overbearing. And they gray itself was covered in a drawing of camp half blood map you from the chb wiki, that just repeats down the page. It was busy and sloppy, disappearing behind everything else. Then under the who is online you had another drawing. Who's drawing? who knows--there wasn't any credit. But it an anime-cartoon hybrid style of grover, annabeth and percy done with, if i recall, pencil. It stuck out like a sore thumb, which is hard to do with like 300 cartoon maps and a big blank orange banner. It was really busy but with little focal point, for me anyway, outside of the orange.

And then the colors themselves changed regularly, with very little theme. Just like, "i like red so the approvers will be red for a few months until i find another color" from how often it seemed to change. All in all the site wasn't very collected. Everything was sort of everywhere with few aesthetic ties.

The new layout draws the pieces together a little more. We have a darker banner that fades into the site, with annabeth and percy on it. We have a mythical creature, and gears that, personally, remind me of hephaestus. We have Athena's owl. The entire picture has muted color that can blend.

Then we have the background. The background is like a purple blue that makes you think of night sky. There was very evidently thought in that, with the New Years celebration coming up (hence fireworks and silly glasses!) But more so, the very back layer of the site is stars. It LOOKS like a sky. And the stars aren't vibrant, so it doesn't draw your attention away from the actual text and important pieces of the page to view. My only advice to adjust this would be to see if you could make the body infinite, so we don't get that black line going through where the background ends and begins again. Still, though, I'd take that over the cartoon map drawing any day.

The one thing I'd change however, is the under general where it'll show annabeth's face again for updated topics or whatever. For a banner it's good, because it's blown up and you can see more details. As an icon it is a little busy. I'd go for something more simple. Perhaps a symbol or item instead of a whole piece. Like a star, with the rest of the icon transparent, and then a sword for when it has been seen, also transparent. Just something a little less detailed so it doesn't take away from the forum titles themselves.

So to TL;DR this, the new layout draws together more, with less pieces for your eyes to randomly be drawn to. It remains on topic and says "hey, look at this information" without being atrocious in the background. The colors mesh well, and the banner says we actually took time to make the site look nice, which in general makes us seem like we cater to a more mature audience. And no, I don't mean like 18+ audience. I mean, like, 12 to 14 year olds, as opposed to the 9 year olds who like to see the colored pencil art of percy's face under the whose online. That's why it seems like it's a Harry Potter site. It's not the content of Harry Potter; we're just catering towards an older age group. (Not to say 9 year olds can't read harry potter, but typically they're not going to get as much out of it as someone older would who could pick up on the little references and draw similarities from past HP events in the books.) It also has more of a magical look with the colors, which isn't bad. Mythology isn't magic, but it's still got that awe-inspiring trait and the "how did that happen??" of magic.

In regards to the Percy Jackson Movie and something Liza said. You read PJATO? You're a PJATO fan. you watched the movies? Still a fan. At least our fandom got a movie at all, and it could have been significantly worse. See: The Room.

What I think is occurring is that a lot of people joined when the site had the old layout. They're used to it, and when they think of what the site looks like, that's what they see because they haven't seen anything else. This is a new layout, but give it a few months and I promise it'll feel a lot more comfortable. And to new members who join within those few months, they'll feel the same about this layout as a lot of people do about the last one.

For many of you, this is your first RP site, so you may feel a little conservative about it, from the way it works to the way it looks. It feels normal to you, because it's what you were initially given. But change isn't always a bad thing. Give it some time and see if you still dislike it.

Now, I don't know how this forum works, but it may have the option to have multiple skins, which members can adjust for their own accounts. If this is the case, make the new skin the default skin, but bring back the old one in case people still want the old look. Then for every new layout, it can be added to the skin index, so if someone becomes accustomed to the old aesthetics, they can keep 'em.

If that's not a possibility, I say stick with this one. It makes the site seem more mature and put together, which tends to net stronger, older writers. It's also, bar the icons, more pleasing to the eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New layout   New layout - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New layout
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Camp Half Blood :: General :: Out of Character Talk-