Contingent On Brightness

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Contingent On Brightness

Post by Metilinos on 7/8/2015, 4:44 pm

Dimitri had been having a good day, which with all things considered, had been a rarity for the demigod during his most recent affairs. Getting lost in the wilderness surrounded by monsters and having been attacked by a massive killer robot, Dimitri had been more than just a little shaken. Camp Half-Blood hadn't exactly felt like the same safe haven it once had, but still, he supposed it was part of his duty as a demigod to help keep it safe rather than hide behind its safety. Whether or not he enjoyed having that though, he knew it was something that he was just going to have to uphold.

Today, however, had been much better of a day. No monsters and no death or destruction. He'd spent the day in company of friends and fellow demigods. They'd even gathered a campfire up and roasted marshmallows, which was a deep nostalgia that Dimitri craved. It reminded him of home, which was a nice change to be thinking about once more. The aftertaste was still in his mouth, of the toasted treat. It kept his mood at his normal happiness while he went for a late night walk. The lake and the rivers and the beach were his favorite parts of Camp Half-Blood.

He felt as though absolutely nothing could bother him while he was there, especially at this time of night when no one was around besides the crickets. Dimitri loved people and meeting people, but he also shared a special bond with the water. Walking passed the river, Dimitri squatted down, placing his hand in the river. The water began lightly manipulating around his hand as he willed it. Tonight had been a good night, and despite the usual struggle of facing the demigod reality, Dimitri for once was okay with facing it.
Metilinos

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2014-11-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Contingent On Brightness

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/9/2015, 3:38 pm

Arian was walking along the curve of the river, the last couplets of a song dancing on her lips. She loved the evenings in Camp Half-Blood. Sometimes they had a late night play going on in the amphiteater, sometimes they had Capture-the-Flag, but most of the evenings, they sat around the campfire under banners relating to their cabins, roasted marshmallows, told each other funny stories and sang all together the classic camp songs.
Arian rarely sat down during those evenings though, she was always one of the Apollo kids dancing around with a lyre and beaming at the shy kids encouragingly so they'd sing too.

"This land is Minos' land," she hummed, breathing deeply the evening breeze.

Tonight hadn't been one of their greatest evenings, with the attack of the robots, the flames had stayed around the tones of blue and green instead of their usual golden, and hadn't risen past a meter and a half. But singing had helped her get over her stress and she was feeling really calm tonight, for a hyperactive teen.

She was still singing when she almost bumped into a guy.

"Oh, dear, I'm sorry!" she said, her Italian accent poking through. Her eyes had trouble getting accustomed to the darkness -- she was a child of the sun god after all. However, she managed to recognize Dimitri, from the Minor Water Gods'. A ribbon of water was curving around his hand, wrapping between his fingers like lace. "Why are you still here?" she softly asked.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female
Number of posts : 15715
Registration date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.
(My mystery box prizes: 2 god parent gifts+2 slots+1exotic pet)

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/9/2015, 6:05 pm

The demigod nearly lost his focus when he heard the daughter of Apollo approach him. He recognized the Italian accent when paired with the vision of the girl that was now standing close to him. "Hi, Arian." Dimitri said, allowing the water that had been being willed to now pour back into the river, leaving his hand as dry as sand. Calling the girl Arian was an oddity, he almost-always called people by their entire given first name, but in her case she was sure people called her by 'Arian' and so Dimitri complied with no quarrels. The young woman was very talented, and was a great energy to have around the camp. Despite the troubles of being a demigod, like Dimitri, Arian saw the value and worth in life. Though for the child of Cymopoleia, his normal encouragement had ebbed slightly. It was bound to happen to most, if not all, demigods. He was lucky to have encouragement within him in the first place.

"I was just thinkin' 'bout stuff. Y'know, demigod thangs." Dimitri said, his legs lifting him back up to standing position. He faced the daughter of Apollo in front of him. "It was a good night, but I don't think I'd be fallin' asleep if I went to the cabins just yet." He spoke, his southern accent entangled in his words like always. Dimitri chose wisely not to expand on his thoughts; he wasn't able to lie to save his life, and he'd rather a topic not too personal come up. Dimitri smiled at the demigod, being his usual self, he enjoyed conveying happiness onto other people whilst they conveyed it onto him. It was a natural part of life in his opinion.

"What about you?" Dimitri asked her. "Are you headin' back to the cabins right now? Lights out ain't that far from now." Dimitri took a a guess, she could have been doing a thousand different things, but he couldn't really guess what. It could have been as simple as just going for a walk. Or maybe she'd been busy at the infirmary with those God-forsaken robots lurking around hurting everyone.
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/10/2015, 8:19 am

"I'm actually taking a little detour," Arian said, pulling on the lace hem of her blue and pink tunic. She put her index to her lips in a mischievous shhh! gesture and smiled, "I'll try not to get eaten by the harpies."

She moved on, humming her song again. Her brown hair bounced across her shoulders in the darkness, the front streaks held back behind her head by a golden barrette in the shape of a butterfly. Despite her casual outfit, her curved sword hung at her side and her bow would be summoned to her shoulder by a twist of her ring, same for her spear. All her blades were coated in fresh poison but she doubted they'd do the robots any harm. Even her solar powers, which she was using almost every day in the forge to melt celestial bronze, had proved useless: the robots could counter attack and parry with an opposite set of powers easily. It was almost like a game to them.

Arian came to a stop, gazing up at the Big House on the hill. The windows of the first floor were still glowing a soft yellow, casting shimmers on the blue walls. Was Chiron still up, or was Mr D finishing up a game of belote with a couple of frightened satyrs?
She gritted her teeth. They had a god on their side, but while everyone was fighting to stay alive, he was calmly sipping his Diet Coke and commenting on his wine magazines. She knew full well he couldn't care less about heroes, but it was in times like this that it became crystal clear how little it actually meant to him. She just wished Apollo would answer her prayers -- every day, she held an eye open for signs of any nature, something that would help her, give advice, or simply comfort her.
But nothing.
He hadn't even been to Olympus on the twenty-first; apparently he had problems of his own and was a bit at odds with Zeus.

The Italian girl gazed down at the grass and nudged a flat stone with the tip of her white sandal. Her grip tightened on her sword's pommel. What if a robot came out of nowhere right now, would she be ready? Stop worrying, she told herself. You're awesome.
Chanting another camp song to lift her mood, she looked at the strawberry fields which she could barely make out in the night, then back towards the cabins. She didn't want to go back, not right now. She loved her siblings, but she wanted other company tonight, get to speak with someone about something else than just robots -- everyone was talking about them and she needed a break.
Maybe...?

A minute later, she came out of the darkness again and stopped next to Dimitri. "All things considered, would you mind if I were to join you for a bit?" she asked with a small grin, one of her eyebrows lifting, like it did every time she asked a question.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/15/2015, 6:29 pm

Dimitri smiled up at her as she joked about the harpies. She was a very positive energy to have around, though Dimitri didn't commonly seek her out to speak with her. She was lively, never hard to find, though usually in a crowd. He was fond of her though, she was the kind of person who made others grateful to be alive. It was as though she didn't have a single sad moment in the world, though Dimitri suspected that wasn't so true. It was hard to stay positive as a demigod, that was a struggle he understood well. People like Arian made it easier on Camp Half-Blood though, the teenager only prayed that soon enough he'd once more be bringing people back up.

He didn't think about her long, however. When she left, his thoughts wandered back to the usual. Dimitri stood on his feet, overlooking the river in front of him. He thought about all of the things he'd been through lately, and what his parents might say. He wondered if his dad would be mortified of his actions or proud. The demigod, of course, always stuck to a strict moral code to always do the right thing. While he always followed that, sometimes things happened that weren't quite in his control. His old home constantly rang through his head, right now was one of those times. Camp Half-Blood was not home, despite how much it felt like it.

The minutes and the night continued to pass. He couldn't help but wonder what the hunters of Artemis were up to. The moon was a constant reminder that they were out there. Probably in danger too. They didn't have a magical barrier like Camp Half-Blood did. Then again, with the robots, the barrier didn't stop them. The demigod wondered just how far the robots wandered. What lengths they would go to to hunt down demigods.

"'Course not." Dimitri replied, a smile having crept up on him from the relief of the sudden company. "Came back this way?" Dimitri asked, looking back towards her. "Any reason in particular you came back?" The demigod asked, his southern accent powering over his voice as always. His former dread was at bay, for the moment.
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/23/2015, 7:19 pm

"I just want to talk with someone about other things than those damned robots." Arian sat down on the ground next to Dimitri and wrapped her arms around her knees in the darkness. The stream whispered gently at her feet, glittering up every now and then whenever it happened to reflect a bit of pale moonlight.
As a daughter of Apollo, Arian had never been quite fond of the night; she remembered how scared she had always been as a child whenever her grandmother switched off the light in the evening. She had either tried to sing herself to sleep or roll to the edge of the bed, where a bit of the light from the street used to seep through the old curtains onto the floor. Light soothed her. Most of the time, though, she never managed to fully fall asleep until her mother came home, usually at midnight or 1 am. Then she'd crawl in bed with her and curl up against her warm body, finally drifting to sleep in her reassuring arms.

Arian tore herself away from those childhood memories and squinted, trying to make out Dimitri's face in the shadows -- sadly but logically, her night vision wasn't good.

"It's so weird to think there's normal life out there," she said. "If you were a mortal, what would you want to do, where would you be at right now?"
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/23/2015, 11:28 pm

"Home." Dimitri said, without even a second thought. It was such a meaningful word to the demigod; it wasn't a location, but it was a meaning. It wasn't simply where he lived, slept, and worked, but it was where he felt a pure sense of belonging. Christ, how he missed it so badly.

"Right now, I'd be gettin' told to get some sleep to be up by first light. By my mom, of course, Christ, Arian, you wouldn't believe how much energy she always had. I know you've seen monsters, magic, killer robots, fightin' trees, the whole crazy shack of thangs. But you really wouldn't believe this woman, my mom, every Christmas for five years I'd stay up and wait for Santa. And every single time I ever opened the door outta my room, she'd be leanin' on the wall in the hallway, lookin' at me. I swear, she didn't need a speck of sleep." At this point, Dimitri had been looking down at his hands, rubbing his fingers together as he smiled at the warm memories. The demigod sighed, as his smile faded. "If I was mortal right now, I'd be smilin'." The demigod said, turning to his friend next to him afterwards.

"What about you? If you could be mortal right now, what would you be doin', and where?" Dimitri asked. He wasn't sure what to expect. Arian was not a person with few dimensions. She knew many people and walked many paths in life.
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/24/2015, 6:38 am

A smile curved her lips as Arian listened to him. His mother seemed like the type of Mom every one should have.

"I'd be on holidays with my mother and stepfather. Probably on the Amalfi coast at my grandparents', or in Florida, enjoying the waves. Or just... partying in Naples, with my friends."

She crossed her legs and passed a hand through her wavy hair -- the truth was, she couldn't really imagine herself as being not a demigod. She would never give away her powers, her skills, her abilities, just for the sake of security, that was out of the question.

"Have you ever talked with your father?" she asked in a quiet voice.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/24/2015, 10:35 am

"Actually, no, I haven't." Dimitri replied, though the subject wasn't bothersome to him so much. "But, I mighta given you the wrong impression. I haven't ever met either of my blood parents. My blood mother, she's the god. Cymopoleia." It had only taken Dimitri about a hundred or so times of saying his mother's name before he no longer butchered it. "My blood father, I have no idea 'bout. But, it's not like I lose sleep over it. I grew up havin' two very lovin' parents, even if they weren't in the same bloodline. I would never wish it any other way."

"I guess it'd be neat, kinda odd though, to meet my father. I have no clue what he's done in his life though, we could be total opposites. And there was that 'field trip' to Olympus not long ago, but I just didn't think I was ready." It had taken Dimitri very long to accept violence into the fold of his life. To accept all of this into his fold of life was nothing short of a burden. In the mortal world, having the ability to heal with water and morph it would be nothing short of a literal miracle. To accept it here was to accept he would be hunted for the remainder of his life. Recently, he'd finally come to terms with that.

"Your turn now, for a question." Dimitri said, deciding he had a healthy curiosity on this subject. "Why are you so adamant on bein' called 'Arian?' I respect it, but I'm just wonderin', why?" Dimitri asked. He wouldn't press her on the subject, but he thought it was a question worth asking.
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/25/2015, 6:28 am

Oh right, he was the son of Cymopoleia. Arian tucked a lose hair strand behind her ear as she listened to him, there was a fair amount of demigods who hadn't grown up with two loving parents, so she was glad he had. However it must be so strange, never have met any of his actual parents. Neither his father nor his mother... such a thing would've driven Arian mad ages ago.

"Alright," she grinned as he asked the question, putting her hands on her knees. "Say, Arianna." The name rolled of her tongue with her native Italian accent.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/25/2015, 11:20 am

Dimitri glanced at the daughter of Apollo. His eyebrow playfully raised in a questioning manner. He wondered exactly what she was up to, but he would gladly play along.

"Arianna." He repeated. His southern accent flared the name quite differently than her Italian one, but he didn't butcher it. He had a grin on his face, he was awaiting whatever she had planned. Of course, maybe it was just her giving him permission to say her name. Dimitri always had felt more comfortable with people when he used their full name. "Does that make me part of an elite team of people who can use the full name now?" Dimitri didn't typically make teases, but it was a light-hearted night.
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/26/2015, 8:54 am

Arian chuckled. "Alright, you didn't butcher it as much as others do, but not everyone pronounces it as good as you do. It's why I prefer to be called Arian in the US, it's easier for everyone. And it kind of makes me feel like an American girl, too." She chuckled again. "Only the people back in Italy call me by my real name and to be honest, I like both." The daughter of Apollo shrugged and stretched her legs, her heels almost brushing the water of the stream. "Have you ever been outside of the USA?"
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/27/2015, 10:00 pm

"An American girl, huh?" Dimitri asked, he was for once being playful, which generally he wasn't. "Gimme your best American girl impression. American girl from the south." He clarified, eager to see her make the attempt, if she chose to do so. He couldn't imagine himself ever attempting any impression, he was clueless as to how people could even begin to make their voice sound differently with just their throat.

"No, I have not." Dimitri replied, at this point he was sitting quite close to the water. His hand returned to it, as water lightly began travelling around his hand in tiny streams as though his hand was a ridge and there was a waterfall above it. "I thought about tryin' Canada. But, I haven't even ever travelled back home. Maybe one day I'll go see what the world has to offer me, but I feel bound to home. To see my family again, y'know?" Dimitri asked, hoping she could relate. "I know you've been outta the United States though. What's Italy like?"
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 7/29/2015, 7:14 am

"You wan' me to tawk Suthern?" Arian said, her intonation catching a kind of drawl. "A'right then." She chuckled and shook her head a little. "That's all I can do." Arian was actually pretty good at doing voice impressions but it was more imitating someone else's voice than actually imitating a whole regional accent.

"Canada must be gorgeous," she agreed. "I'd love to hike some trails up there or just visit Montreal, I heard it's a great city." She paused. "Italy? Imagine the most beautiful country in the world, take it up a few notches, add pizza and pasta and gelato (the real kind of gelato) and you should be pretty close." She laughed a little again and smirked. "Seriously, Italy's pretty beautiful. We have a lot of gorgeous landmarks, buildings from Antiquity, Middle-Age and Renaissance, there are fantastic landscapes, little Tuscan villages and glittering Amalfitan beaches... I come from Naples, which is a pretty chaotic and polluted city so I don't know if you'd like it, but it's home to me and I love it."
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 7/31/2015, 10:25 pm

Dimitri smiled, tilting his head in consideration. "'Sgood, you'd fit right in." Dimitri teased, in reference to her southern imitation. "Just make sure you don't start switchin' accents every other sentence." The demigod could remember distinctively how many accents his mother could do, and how often she would purposely talk in them to catch her husband and son off guard. Arianna wasn't so bad at accents herself. Dimitri could see her now, in a straw hat and all, spending time with the Demeter cabin.

"Gelato?" Dimitri questioned. He'd hardly ever heard of what frozen yogurt was, let alone what Italy's lovely take on ice cream was. Dimitri shrugged at her explanation of Naples. "You're right. It doesn't really sound like my cup of tea. Still, it's home. And home is worth all the pollution and chaos in the world." The subject didn't in particular bring Dimitri into the brightest mood. Even before he had that calling card, home weighed on him a pretty penny. For lack of a better term, he dreaded being kept from home. "What makes you wanna be so worldy? The people and sights must be amazing. But what about the risks?"
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 8/3/2015, 11:55 am

"I've grown used to the risks," Arian replied with calm. "I was forced to learn to use my powers very early and push myself to my limits to stay alive. You don't know how many monsters roam the streets in Italy. Apollo also trusted my mother with a bow and a quiver full of arrows which she gave to me after I was first attacked, so to be truthful, risks and hazards have been my childhood playmates."

She leaned back and admired the stars, their glitter scattered across the night sky. "Worldy? Do you mean worldly or...?"
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 8/3/2015, 11:22 pm

Dimitri listened to her talk about how she had grown up with the risks. He turned his head to her, and although she was looking up at the stars, he tilted his head imagining who she was under that face. Arian looked gorgeous, and acted kind and happy. As her father would suggest, she was a ray of sunshine. Did she truly hold no hurt? No pain? His eyes squinted as a fire within him awoken to ask her. They were alike in some aspects. And Dimitri wanted the solace, to know that it wasn't just him who carried severe doubt and occasionally, ever impending gloom.

"Y'know, same thing." Dimitri said, his sitting position now reverted back to a crouched one. He wouldn't drop that kind of weight on Arian, and start talking about such dark things. If that was his desire, he'd have mentioned the card in his pocket. "So... gelato? Is that some kind'a law?"
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 8/4/2015, 4:04 pm

"Gelato is ice cream," Arian laughed. "Well, actually it's much less fat, it's creamier and has more intense flavors. It's the best thing in the world if you ask me." She turned to look at him. "I have to take you to Italy some time, I think you'd really like it."

She stared back at the stars, the only light she could make out in the darkness, apart from the glow of the moon. She was a bit scared but she was with someone so it was okay.

"Damn, I wish I could have some ice cream right now," she chuckled.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 8/4/2015, 9:53 pm

Dimitri turned to silence for what was a good long pause. He thought about what it would be like in Italy. Arianna had made it sound like such a wonderland. But she'd also revealed the situation of monsters at hand. The demigod wasn't worried, he'd seen so much so fast, he was convinced that he'd survive whatever Italy threw at him. It was an interesting thought for the demigod. Ironically, despite his sea like lineage, he'd never crossed a sea before.

"I could go for ice cream too." Dimitri finally noted. He rarely had cravings for food, ever, especially food like ice cream. He'd grown up on nearly strictly produce. Surely enough, Arian's mention of it was enough to raise a light hearted point in Dimitri's brain; ice cream was very tasty.

"Italy, huh?" Dimitri asked, still thinking about what it would be like. Part of him wanted to go. See a new land and witness a new people. But part of him yearned to risk the long trek back home. Some nights he simply layed awake, his mind off of all the problems he was facing, except just a few. One of those was home. He he yearned to see it again and be hugged by his family. "That sounds like it could be fun."
Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 8/5/2015, 6:32 am

Arian didn't reply for a bit, just staring at the sky without quite seeing it. Italia... What was her mother doing right now? With the time zones, it must be morning at hers. Maybe she was making breakfast with her fiancÚ, probably sharing a cappuccino and creamy sfogliatelle... She wished she was there. She hadn't called her mother in almost two days, and she missed their texting. And their hugs. And their jokes. She just missed her mother in general.

"Let's go steal some," she said.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 8/5/2015, 10:02 pm

Dimitri brought himself to his feet, slowly standing from the squat. He looked down to his friend that was sitting beside him. He wasn't sure where the comment was coming from, perhaps it was a desire to be a better person himself. "Y'know, you've done good by the people of this camp." Dimitri said. He was fond of of Arianna and all of the kindness she gave to the campers. Her silence had triggered him to suddenly confide that in her. "I'm sure your family would be proud've you."

The calling card still weighed heavily in his pocket.

"Just thought I'd let you know, you're appreciated here." He looked down to the daughter of Apollo. It was getting dark, he was hoping curfew wouldn't be too soon. He'd hate to have to splash the harpies with water. "Anyway, stealin' ice cream, huh?"

Metilinos

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 8/13/2015, 8:53 am

His words made a feeling of warmth bloom up in her ribcage. It made her happy to help others but the true reward was the appreciation she got, and when Dimitri talked to her about it, it made the largest smile grow on her face.

Turning to him, she touched his arm, "Thank you."

"And yes, stealing ice cream." Standing up, she dusted herself and extended her hand to help Dimitri up. "I think there's some in the Big House. We just need to avoid getting turned into squirrels by Mr D."
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum