a quiet(ish) place (open)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

a quiet(ish) place (open)

Post by Lunar on 10/7/2015, 3:25 am

Go to the music room, they said, it'll be fun, they said. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Grimacing as she clutched her prized ukulele tighter to her petite frame, Roslyn hobbled along the distant shoreline of the lake with a stubborn tilt to her lips. Normally, she liked hearing the ring and clatter of other campers trying out and playing their instruments around her, it made her feel whole and complete. This was not one of those times. At the moment, Roslyn had rather preferred to be somewhere more...quiet. So she came to the lake instead.
Though not quite sure if that was even the right choice,she figured anyways it was too late to be breaking down and going back to the Apollo cabin. On another note, a particular spot underneath a shady tree right by the shoreline seemed to beckon to her with the strength of a powerful Siren.
A tiny grin perching itself on her lips, she tightened her right hand grip on the fret board of the small instrument. Moving her left arm out to steady herself, she slowly made her way to the spot, careful not to slip and go for a sudden dive if her cursed feet happened to catch on any pesky rocks. No object on the ground having a vendetta against her at the moment, Roslyn sat down with a small sigh of relief, resting her back against the trunk of the tree while crossing her legs, looking out towards the lake about twenty five feet from her, her dark brown eyes clicked closed for a moment before Roslyn opened them after a moment of rest.
Positioning her left hand fingers in the correct order just behind the fret, she began to strum casually using four on her fingers on her right hand. Roslyn kept her wrist relax as she leaned back, finally deciding to settle on one of her personal favorite songs she loved since her childhood.
"There's a storm coming tonight,so lock your door up tight." She sang softly,her tone never reaching to the level of a normal talking voice, though her pitch did wonders musically.
"Bar all your windows, and tie up your things. There's a storm coming tonight." Continuing her strumming, she hummed the rest of the song as the afternoon lazed on.
Lunar

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a quiet(ish) place (open)

Post by Kwacken on 10/7/2015, 7:04 am

Galena wasn't much of an outdoorsy person, but she did like quiet and sometimes that meant going somewhere outdoorsy. The daughter of Athena wasn't exactly nonsocial like some of her more awkward siblings, but she liked her time by herself. Since she had been to camp, she had found more and more that in order to get time by herself, she had to go out.

So the teen found herself at the lake, which could usually be expected to only have one or two people. An introvert's haven. For while Galena craved attention and love a lot of times, she was still an introvert at heart. Today, there was only one other person. Galena didn't know her, she didn't know a lot of campers, but the girl was singing and playing the ukelele. That was odd. "Ironic song to sing in a camp where Mr.D controls the weather."
Kwacken

Female
Number of posts : 2302
Registration date : 2014-12-31

View user profile

( 1 ) Cust. Rank, Monster Attack, Character Slot, Loss of Limb, Exotic Pet
( 2 ) Name Change
( 3 ) Shout Out, Name color(2mo)
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/7/2015, 8:06 pm

OOC: Sorry for the late-ish post, got caught up in school!

BIC:

Roslyn's eyes opened with a snap as she realized she was, in fact, not as alone as the child of Apollo thought she was. Her wrist freezing in it's flow of strumming on her ukulele, she looked up with her dark brown eyes widening.
"I find the irony of it pretty funny." She murmured in her characteristically soft voice. Roslyn's head tilting to the side, she scanned the girl before her, not in a calculating way but in a more of 'wow-first-lemme-look-at-who-i'm-talking-to-for-maybe-the first- time-ever' sort of look.
Biting her lip softly, she delicately set her small instrument in her lap. This was pretty much the first person to even talk to her first at camp, it was pretty big.
"How rude of me," Roslyn gently spoke with a small sigh drifting from her lips soon afterwards at her own silliness, "I'm Roslyn."A smile etching itself on her face, Roslyn moved a thin hand up to tap her chest with two fingers, "The girl who finds humor in irony, if you will."
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/7/2015, 9:42 pm

"Galena." Galena replied, "From Cabin Six. And there is humor in irony, it's why comedies use it all the time. Are you a child of Apollo, or just someone who was taught how to play the ukelele at a young age? I can't play much of anything except the radio. I can kind of peck out a few tunes on the piano...and I played a mean recorder in fourth grade." The daughter of Athena smiled, sitting down next to Roslyn. While Galena had been interested in silence and alone time, she couldn't pass up getting to know the ukelele player. It wasn't that often you saw someone playing the ukelele for anything more than a gag. Or a skit about Hawaii.
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/8/2015, 1:28 am

A smile flickered onto the face of the daughter of Apollo until it had solidified like drying concrete. Cabin Six... Athena. She had never met a kid of Athena before!
"A pleasure to meet you. " Roslyn chirped in a friendly tone,her shoulders shrugging up in an excited way. However, a hint of timid nervousness urged it's way into her, children of Athena were known to be very smart and well... Roslyn was no genius. Not that she wasn't smart, of course! She was mostly... average. A blush creeping it's way up onto her cheeks, the teenage girl suddenly felt quite silly comparing her parentage to Galena's. "Yeah, that's correct. I'm Apollo's kid." Moving a hand up to rub the back of her neck, the volume of her already low voice seemed to decrescendo even more as she ended her sentence. "Well... one of the many Apollo's kids" Adding this on as an after thought, it seemed to be more of a mutter to herself than anything.
A giggle suddenly escaping her lips, she tilted her head as she angled her body to face Galena, the short legs of the petite girl still in a criss-cross apple sauce formation.  
"I think I play a mean recorder too! Finally somebody else who understands me!" Her volume never rising, though her pitch would escalate until she was half-joking, half-actually being serious.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/8/2015, 6:56 pm

Galena chuckled lightly, "Camp Town Races never knew what was coming. So, how are you finding camp so far? How long have you been here?" She asked, though she was more tempted to ask about the ukelele. It always seemed strange, like a tiny guitar.
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/8/2015, 9:11 pm

"How do I find camp? Quite fun, actually." Moving a hand up to rub the back of her neck gently, Roslyn's free hand began to trace patterns into the wood of her ukulele, sometimes even fiddling with the ribbon of the small dark blue bow tied at the top of it. "I've been here for about two years.. since I was, what, thirteen?" Tilting her head as a look of thoughtfulness settled over her expression, she ended with a small but firm nod. "I don't talk much to people, so I probably wouldn't have been very noticeable." The same small smile outlining her lips, she turned her friendly gaze back towards Galena. "How long have you been here for?" Roslyn inquired with a curious lilt to her soft voice.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/10/2015, 3:55 am

"Ah, well, I can understand that. Not very noticeable either. I do hang out with the Hermes crowd some. I've been here about a year and a half-ish. Don't really know what I'm going to do with the rest of my life when I get older...but...that can be figured out later, right?" Galena said, staring out across the lake. She thought about the future sometimes, but mainly just brushed it off as being scary.
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/10/2015, 4:03 am

This was new. An Athena kid that didn't know...everything? Mentally slapping herself on the wrist, Roslyn winced slightly. Ashamed that she was getting into the habit of stereotyping people, Roslyn decided to drop the matter from her mind. Plucking a few notes absentmindedly on her ukulele, she let out a small hum of thoughtfulness before adding onto Galena's sentence with her own comment.
"I don't really think much about the outside world. The camp seems so big, and it feels weird to think about life outside of it." Roslyn spoke with a thoughtful tone to her voice, her lips pursing towards the end in a bit of a worried look. Of course it was weird to think about life outside of the little world she lived in, she hadn't been out of the camp for two whole years! The outside world was dangerous, and Roslyn tended to stray away from the scary and physically harmful things and play it more safe in her own little protective bubble.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/10/2015, 4:44 am

Galena could understand that sentiment. After the whole coming to camp after being attacked by creatures that shouldn't exist, she hadnt wanted to leave for a while either. Still, she didn't want to spend her entire life at Camp. "Yeah, but you don't want to be 25 and still live here, do you? I mean, I'll graduate high school in two years. Or would be on schedule to. Guess I'm gonna end up getting my GED, because I don't think they'll take Camp Half-Blood as a real high school."
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/10/2015, 4:51 am

"I don't think they'd let me stay here if I was that old. Or any of us, really." A soft giggle slipping from her lips, Roslyn plucked a few more notes as another thoughtful look graced her features. "Maybe I can play my uke' for tips? I don't know if the whole homeless performer spiel will fly with my mom, though. She's still reeling from being in a relationship with a god, however short it was and however long ago it was too. Homelessness is something she won't accept no matter what, although." Her tone a humorous one, Roslyn felt as though she was speaking directly from her heart, something she hasn't done in quite some time. Letting her hands stray from her little instrument, she laced her fingers together and simply rested her hands in her lap.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/10/2015, 5:06 am

Galena grunted, crossing her arms over her chest. "Don't think Father Greg cares what happens when and if I get out of here. Took all but having a god appear on his doorstep for him to admit he was my father. Spent my entire life in foster care because he didn't want to admit to anyone he had been in love with a woman. But...he never did have sex, so, kinda can't blame him. But I will."
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/10/2015, 5:16 am

Tilting her head with curiosity at Galena's statement, she took a hold of her ukulele with both hands and set it down gently at her side. Scooting an inch closer with widened dark brown eyes that seemed to scream 'TELL ME MORE', she hummed a small response before resorting to using actual words.
"I don't mean to pry, really, but what was foster care like?" Blinking as she spoke these words, she criss-crossed her legs even tighter, almost as if preparing herself if there was to be any verbal backlash to follow. Though she may be a child of Apollo with all her artsy-music stuff, she still yearned for information as well, like any naive teenager would. "And 'Father' George? Is he a priest? Or like...-?" Ending her sentence with a bit of a confused look, Roslyn hoped she didn't look anymore stupid as she thought she did at the current time. "And-! Never uh-... did the 'thing' so like...how did you...uhm-come to be?" Jabbering on in her quiet voice, a blush filled her cheeks at the implied-ness of her last inquiry. Roslyn ended her last question with a small motion with her hands to signal to Galena.

Last edited by Lunar on 10/10/2015, 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/10/2015, 5:40 am

OOC: I screwed up, it's Father George, not Father Greg. Oops.

BIC:

"Foster care sucks. I had one good set of foster parents, then every home or group home after that just sucked. You never feel like you belong, and you're always on edge." Galena said, bitterness clear in her voice. "As for the good Father, yes, a priest. Bishop now. Roman Catholic. Irony upon ironies. And...Children of Athena aren't exactly...it's..." Galena stopped, looking confused for a second. "We're formed by thought? I guess. Brain children. Not really copulated. It's... It's weird."
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/10/2015, 5:51 am

"It sounds a bit weird but-..." Cutting herself off, Roslyn suddenly reached forward and with a thin finger, poked Galena lightly on the left arm. "You don't really feel like a thought? Oh god-...I mean gods, was that really stupid to say?" Slapping a small hand to her forehead quite roughly, Roslyn left it there for a few moments as another blush formed on her cheeks. Mumbling to herself gently, what could be heard is a small 'firstfriendyoumakeintwoyearsandyou'reamazedthatthey'reactually whole!wowwhatanidiotyouarenowonderyouhaveaukuleletospeakforyourself". An idea dawning upon her suddenly that she probably looked quite strange talking to herself in a berating tone at the moment, she slowly dragged her hand down from her forehead with a sheepish look. "Sorry when I do stupid stuff like that I just-..." Trailing off in an uncertain tone, Roslyn slowly wrung her hands as she thought of an attempt to change the subject quickly. "Anyways! Roman-Catholic? Wow...that's quite a change from all this...Greek Gods business."
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/11/2015, 8:11 am

Galena actually laughed at the comment about not feeling like a thought. She figured it was better than feeling like an afterthought. "I promise, I'm not a hallucination. You don't talk to people much, do you? Anyway, yeah, Roman Catholic to Greek pantheon... Really threw me for a loop. Made my OCD flair up. I don't like big changes."
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/11/2015, 5:02 pm

The blush slowly fading from Roslyn's face as quickly as it had appeared, she tilted her head to the side a bit. Her fingers moving to fiddle with the locks of her brown hair, she nodded in reply. "I admit I haven't talked much to people in my time here." She spoke with added chagrin, threading her thin and calloused fingers through the thick brown wavy curls of her hair. "Passing comments, sometimes a few 'hellos' but nothing too extensive. It was mostly my own fault, though." Roslyn's head nodding with a sudden jerk of her neck, the daughter of Apollo let out a small hum of agreement. "Changes aren't always my favorite either." And it was true, though she was quick to accept the sudden shift in her perspective of the world via the sudden appearance of the knowledge of Greek gods existing, she certainly hadn't liked it that much, but she tolerated it.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/12/2015, 3:06 am

Galena could relate to not talking much. She liked attention, but she was shy too to a degree. It was one of those oxymorons, which was pretty much her by definition. "Making friends is good though, you should try talking to more people. Isolation is kind of depressing, y'know? Like, I don't have a lot of friends, but I'm not all alone. You should try it."
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/13/2015, 1:27 am

Picking up her uke and putting it back on her lap, Roslyn absentmindedly plucked a few sweet notes out with a small nod of silent reply. "I will definitely try, now that I've got a moral booster from meeting you!" A cheery grin etching itself on her face, she strummed a few chords, in an almost comical way to add background music to the situation going on. "It grew into more of a habit really, my quote unquote 'isolation'. I pride myself in being quite extroverted, I promise!" Doing one of those closed eyed, chipper smiles, Roslyn hummed an indecipherable lyric under her breath before speaking again.
"Though I might have to try to speak up." Of course she had been talking in her soft tone this entire time, no matter excitement that had sparked within her. A short laugh escaping her, the daughter of Apollo open her eyes with a gentle shift in her face. "Do you think people would like me? Or would I just be background music to them? Pun intended." Cracking a lopsided smile on her lips, though she held a serious sound to her voice.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 10/16/2015, 5:18 pm

Galena shrugged, "I have no clue, friend. People are funny creatures. It's hard to gauge who will like who. Maybe try making friends with your siblings? They kinda can't escape you." The child of Athena mused, although her best friend was from Hermes cabin.
Kwacken

Female

View user profile

( 2 ) Name Change
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunar on 10/18/2015, 10:41 pm

"It definitely can't hurt to start with my siblings." Roslyn hummed in agreement, her head moving with a small nod to add onto her reply. Finally setting her little instrument down yet again, her hands moved up to fiddle with her thick locks of dark chestnut brown hair. "I have talked to some of them, they seem quite..musical." Snorting at her way of describing them, it had been true in her statement. However only a few passing 'hellos', 'how are you's', and 'oh so apparently our dad gets around a lot, so now we're half-siblings?' haven't solidified any strong relationships in her eyes, it was only a matter of time before she made at least a friend or two in her family group, or so she hoped. "Have you talked to any of your siblings yet? What are they like?"  The questioning tone back in her soft voice, Roslyn's head began to tilt a few degrees to the side one more. Her fingers moving down from threading through her hair, she lowered her hand down to begin to tap a small beat into her leg. She knew a majority of the Athena kids we're smart, but her knowledge of how they acted was a mystery to her. Galena seems quite kind, so her siblings probably aren't all bad themselves, noting this to herself silently, Roslyn nodded her head with her small smile etching itself onto her face for the hundredth time.
Lunar

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: