The Beginning of Summer (OPEN)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Beginning of Summer (OPEN)

Post by Freya4647 on 7/2/2018, 10:18 am

Freya frustratedly blew a strand of her long hair out of her face as she squinted at the wooden carvings she was making on her bow. As per usual, she'd forgotten that her glasses were perched on top of her head and had therefore resorted to scrunching up her face to try and see what she was doing. Sighing, she looked around the quiet pavilion, longing for a friendly face to appear; that was the one downside of being an all-year resident of Camp Half-Blood. You could get lonely quite often. The beginning of Summer was near, which meant that she would soon be re-united with her friends, and she couldn't wait. In the mean time, however, she was stuck with archery as her only company.
Freya4647

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2017-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Beginning of Summer (OPEN)

Post by Mack on 7/2/2018, 5:47 pm

"Wouldn't it be easier to see if you use your glasses as glasses instead of a fashion accessory," Daniel asked, as he stepped into the shade afforded by the dining area. The Alaskan had a pair of Oakley's over his eyes to go with the ice blue swim trunks he was wearing and a beach towel of same color that was draped around his neck. In one hand, the son of Khione had what looked to be a water bottle made out of a block of solid ice, completely with an ice straw. Lazily, he sipped water from the literal frozen water bottle. "Tools only work if you use them properly."
Mack

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya4647 on 7/2/2018, 6:20 pm

Freya’s eyes widened as she suddenly remembered the glasses that had been sat aimlessly on her head. ‘Oh crumbs!’ She stammered, placing the bow down on the table and sliding them onto her nose. Then looking up to see the person addressing her, she noticed the son of Khione stood near the Athena table. ‘Thanks,’ she stated, not recognising the stranger. There was a pause before she blew a strand of hair out of her face and decided to introduce herself. ‘I’m Freya.’ She stuck her hand out, whilst pushing her glasses into a more comfortable position on her nose.
Freya4647

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mack on 7/2/2018, 6:55 pm

"Daniel, child of Khione, she's the best goddess," the Alaskan replied smoothly, stepping up onto the Athena table and plopping down to sit on the table part with his feet on the bench. He took another long drink from the water bottle made of ice, which was dripping into his lap as the solid ice construct slowly melted in the heat. With one finger, he reached to the bridge of his nose and pushed his Oakley's up until the sunglasses were resting on his forehead.

"What are you carving on that bow," he asked, leaning forward until he had his free hand planted on one knee to support his weight as he examined the carving that Freya was engraving on the weapon. "Does a wood bow kill monsters? I thought we had to use..." He screwed up his face for a minute, trying to remember what the metal was called. Screw it. "See Lester Brass."
Mack

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya4647 on 7/2/2018, 7:04 pm

The daughter of Athena warily eyed Daniel’s drink as it dripped onto his lap, but continued the conversation anyway. He seemed rather over confident, and despite being bubbly in nature, Freya felt herself becoming slightly more introverted.

‘The bow can be wooden,’ she corrected him. ‘The arrows are what have to be made out of Celestial Bronze.’ She hesitated before explaining the meaning of the carvings. ‘I’m writing in Ancient Greek...’ she brushed some wood shavings off of the bow and took her glasses off before cleaning them on her shirt. Then a thought occurred to her. ‘What brings you here? You’re not exactly dressed for the mess hall,’ she remarked as she raised an eyebrow at his attire. Normally she wasn’t one to judge, but Daniel had confused her... which was rare for the daughter of Athena.
Freya4647

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mack on 7/2/2018, 7:38 pm

"Yeah, celestial bronze and why Ancient Greek writing, eh," Daniel asked, peering at the markings as the ice water bottle continued to slowly melt and drip into his lap. "I can't read that, why not English?" It seemed to the blonde teen that English would make much more sense as the language of choice. Then again, maybe it wouldn't when it came to the whole Greek demigod thing. He shrugged his broad shoulders. It was all a bit confusing, but then all of this was still fairly new to him.

"Dressed," Daniel asked, arching a blonde eyebrow. "But I've got clothes on. Is there a dress code? All of this is still fairly new to me." He gestured in a way to take in the whole of the camp, then he took a final slurping drink from the water bottle and tossed it out into the grass beyond the dining area. "Nice thing about ice, I can't littler with it." He nodded sagely. "Because it melts," he added, just in case that bit wasn't obvious.
Mack

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya4647 on 7/2/2018, 8:03 pm

The teen rolled her eyes, though the smile was evident on her face. ‘I would’ve never guessed,’ she responded sarcastically before looking back down at the bow. ‘I have dyslexia because of my mum, ‘ she explained. ‘My brain is hardwired to read Ancient Greek, and not English which is why I’ve carved into the bow in Greek.’ A frown appeared on her face as she took everything into consideration. ‘Hang on, surely you should have dyslexia too? It’s very rare that a demigod doesn’t!’ Her curiosity had piqued. And she smiled a genuine smile. ‘Well, there’s no dress code but you’re definitely dressed more appropriately for the beach... how long have you been here?’

The girl spouted off multiple questions, her ADHD kicking in as well as her want for knowledge. She came to a sudden halt when she realised what she’d done and blushed a bright red. ‘Sorry, I usually have a hand on that...’ she tralied off, awkwardly scratching the back of her neck.
Freya4647

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mack on 7/2/2018, 8:18 pm

"Oh yes, I have dyslexia. Just the other day I was reading a book about how there is no dog," Daniel replied, trying to maintain a straight face as he fired off with what was a very common joke that was, nonetheless, rather new to him since he'd mostly grown up away from civilization. "But, I don't know how to read ancient Greek either. Is that something we're all supposed to know too?"

Daniel sat back, spun a neat circle on the table, and promptly collapsed onto his back, snatching the towel from around his shoulder and cramming it in a wad behind his head as a pillow. "In fairness, I was down at the lake. This heat is too much. Summer heat is not fun. It does not get this hot north of the Arctic Circle... well, not very often." He rolled his eyes up and back to Freya as he spoke, maintaining eye contact as much as possible from this new position.

"The water makes it a little more tolerable." The Alaskan shrugged, then placed both his hands palms down on the table. Closing his emerald eyes for a moment, he channeled winter's cold out through his hands and into the table, chilling the portion of it that he was reclining on to what he thought was a much nicer temperature. "I don't do heat very well."

Notes:

Did not freeze the table solid, just chilled it and then just the part he's laying on. But, this was the "freeze solid object" was the closest cooldown timer I could find, so going with that.

Winter's Touch Cooldown: 3/3
Mack

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya4647 on 7/3/2018, 3:39 am

Frey nodded as Daniel spoke; the ecetually got fed up with her hair and decided to tie it up in a messy ponytail. ‘You’ll learn Ancient Greek,’ she explained as messed with her hair. ‘We all do, and you’ll actually find it a lot easier than reading English.’

The Brit raised a partially amused eyebrow when he lead back on the table; ‘it makes sense,’ she mused. ‘That you don’t do well in heat. I’m not a huge fan of it myself; where I come from, it’s hardly ever this hot, even in the Summer.’ She placed her glasses back on top of her head since she was no longer using them. ‘As a son of Khione, heat like this must unbearable...’ she trailed off, her eyes widening a little as felt a section of the table suddenly grow considerably colder.
Freya4647

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mack on 7/6/2018, 2:37 pm

"The heat is unbearable," Daniel replied in a very matter of fact tone. "Summer is just the worst, it does not get this hot in Alaska north of the arctic circle. Never." The Alaskan peered up at the girl with his green eyes as she pushed her glasses up on her forehead again. The blonde teen shrugged from his place laying on the table for the Athena kids.

"Made a blizzard the other day to beat the heat, some kid was not too happy," he said in a nonchalant way. "I think her mom must have been the Goddess of PMS or something. Yellin' and carryin' on like I did somethin' wrong for tryin' to stay cool outside. Not like I iced up her cabin or anything."

Notes:
Winter's Touch Cooldown: 2/3
Mack

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Freya4647 on 7/6/2018, 2:58 pm

Freya chuckled at this and began to fiddle with her camp necklace. ‘Well,’ she replied, finding his story amusing. ‘Not everyone appreciates the cold. The children of Apollo would despise you if you froze anything up.’ She grinned, recalling a memory. ‘You should’ve seen them when it snowed one year. It was glorious!’ A mischievous glint in her eye suggested that it was a lot of fun.

‘You would like England, it’s never particularly hot there.’ She trailed off, pondering over her old home.
Freya4647

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: