Magic in the Courtyard

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magic in the Courtyard

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/16/2013, 10:09 pm

Darren walked into the courtyard, shuffling his deck of cards. His first encounter at camp hadn't been the best, but he decided to ignore it. Darren shuffled the cards more looking around. He started to walk up the steps to his cabin when he decided to just sit on the steps. He began to shuffle the cards more creatively because he had nothing else to do. Darren looked around the courtyard. It seemed like a good place to see what kind of people were at this camp. Everyone was shuffling in and out so he could just watch the people go by. And maybe, one of them would stop to see him.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female
Number of posts : 5515
Registration date : 2010-03-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Magic in the Courtyard

Post by Haiden on 6/16/2013, 10:48 pm

Marisol wandered in with a bored expression on her face. Just another day at camp..same old same old.. she thought to herself dully. Sitting down on the bench placed in the middle of the Courtyard, she sat criss-crossed and rested both of her elbows on her knees as her chin rested on both of her fists. Blowing a hair away from her face her eyes laid upon a boy shuffling cards to himself. Well you don't see that a lot in camp these days. Interested, she called out to the boy. "Having fun there?" she asked him with a smile.

Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male
Number of posts : 25814
Registration date : 2010-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/17/2013, 1:50 pm

Darren heard someone talking and quickly realized that she was addressing him. Darren looked at the girl. He smiled at her, and got up and walked over to her. She seemed like she could be really cool and maybe actually enjoy his magic tricks. When he got over there, he responded, "Yeah, kind of. Do you wanna see a magic trick?" Darren continued to shuffle the cards, and slipped 5 cards behind his hand in a way she couldn't even notice. "I'm kind of a big deal." Darren added.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/17/2013, 2:55 pm

Marisol raised her eyebrow with impression. She was the worst when it came to card shuffling or even card games. The way the boy dealt with the cards were smooth and quick and she felt that she couldn't keep up with his techniques. Eager to see more, she nodded quickly. "Yeah, sure. I'm all up for magic tricks." She unfolded her legs so instead of sitting criss-crossed she was now sitting normally, leaning forward in anticipation. Marisol laughed when the boy added he was a big deal and shook her head. "I'll be the judge of that."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/17/2013, 2:58 pm

Darren smiled. He doubted that she knew she was dealing with one of the best street magicians in New York, let alone one of the best pick-pockets. "Okay. Think of a card. Any card." Darren waited until it looked like she had a card in mind and then asked, "What is your name, by the way?" Darren flipped the cards he hid back into the shuffle, then flipped a 5 different ones behind his hand, making sure she didn't notice.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/17/2013, 3:10 pm

Marisol smirked. She was half-doubting this guy and half-believing he could actually pull off the trick. There was only one way to find out. She hesitated before answering back. Queen of Spades.. she thought to herself, and continued to repeat it to herself in her mind. She had a tendency to forget the card she was always thinking about when someone asked her to. "Alright, I got it." She told him, still repeating the card in her mind. She glanced at him and raised her eyebrow. "Is that question supposed to distract me?" She asked him playfully.
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/17/2013, 4:16 pm

Darren laughed at the accusation. "Surprisingly. No. Just needed some information. But I got it all now." Darren already knew the card. Queen of spades. "Now, let's look through the deck." Darren knew the card wouldn't be there, but she had to give the illusion he couldn't find it. "Dang it!" Darren exclaimed. He threw the cards at the ground, and one stuck in the crack. He knew it was the queen of spades. Darren smiled at her. "Is that your card?" He asked, pointing at the card.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/17/2013, 10:10 pm

Marisol blinked as she saw one particular card get stuck in the crack of the concrete on the ground. She glanced up back at the boy, then back at the card and looked at it very carefully. Well well well..Queen of Spades. Marisol couldn't help but laugh and clap her hands. "That is my card actually. Well done, Mr. Magician." She said as she picked up the card from the ground and held it between her index and middle finger. She examined it to see if there were any..tricky things hidden in it or something but there didn't seem to be any. "I guess I can tell you my name then." She smiled and held out her hand for him to shake. "Name's Marisol."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/19/2013, 4:54 pm

Darren smiled at her. She seemed nice, and at least a little impressed by him. Darren took the card back. "Nice to meet you Marisol." Darren was trying to decide whether or not to tell her who he was. "Before I tell you my name, where are you from?" Darren asked. Darren was pretty well known around New York and New Jersey, and dependent on the person, they may think he is amazing, or awful. Darren didn't want to freak Marisol out. She was the first person he met at camp who seemed cool.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/21/2013, 7:46 pm

"I'm from New Mexico. Probably one of the most boring places on Earth, however I do miss it quite a lot." Marisol admitted. The thought of home made her even more eager to go back but she knew she would have to finish out camp. Besides, coming home and taking on the role of big sister again was not her forte. As much as she loved her little siblings, they got on her nerves a lot. "Now that I told you where I'm from, what's your name?" Marisol guessed that he was a child of Hecate, obviously, so she didn't bother to think of asking him who his god parent was. She hasn't really met any other demigod that could do magic tricks..other than maybe an Athena kid or too because of their strategic skills but she believed the boy did a pretty nice card trick.

ooc: i'm back!
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/21/2013, 9:16 pm

Darren relaxed a little bit when he heard where she was from. There was no way someone from New Mexico would know he was. He wasn't that good. Darren offered her his hand to shake. "I'm Darren Taylor. New York native." Darren loved New York. It was perfect for a person like him. It had everything anyone could ever want, and it was easy for him to get lost in a crowd. It also wasn't weird to see a performer, like himself, in the streets. People like him thrived there.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/24/2013, 5:33 pm

Marisol shook his hand with a smile. "Nice to meet you Darren Taylor, native of New York. Must of been a short ride here then from your home, huh?" She let go of his hand and stuck both of her hands in her pockets. He was from a much more exciting place than she was, which made her slightly jealous. New York was beautiful in Marisol's eyes and she would give anything to live here, which is why she has planned to go to college here right when she got out of camp.
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/25/2013, 2:21 pm

Darren laughed. "I happened upon this place actually. And then when my step-mom and dad found out, they just told me to stay. They were never around, but they didn't go to far because they had to legally take care of me, but when they found out, they picked up and went to live on the road." Darren shook his head and chuckled a little. "I don't know why I told you that." Darren was shuffling his cards the entire time he was talking.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/25/2013, 8:47 pm

As Marisol listened to his little story, she frowned a bit. Such lousy parents she thought to herself. "I don't know why either, but I'm glad you did. Kinda lets me get to know a little about you." She assured him with a smile. "I can kinda know where you're coming from. I didn't have a whole lot of parent guardianship in my home as well..although it is probably because of a different situation than yours."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/25/2013, 9:03 pm

Darren looked over at her. Darren smiled a little. He didn't want to just come out and ask her what she meant, so he knew that he needed to be creative. As he shuffled Darren slipped a penny into the deck, right in the middle. On the next shuffle it flipped up into the air and right onto the top of the deck. Darren took it and looked at it. "It's a sign." He laughed. Darren handed the penny to her. "Penny for your thoughts?"

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/25/2013, 9:22 pm

Marisol watched in amazement as the penny landed on the top of the deck. Was there even a penny there in the first place? She laughed at his remark of it being a sign and took the penny. "Well now that you impressed me and you told me mostly about yourself, I guess I should explain." She stuck the penny in her pocket. "My dad, who is really just my step-dad, had this crappy- wait, let me rephrase that. He had a crappy but very well paying job that kinda made him a big thing in his whole business. This also made him not home as much as he should of been. It was all up to my oldest step-brother, Robert, to kinda bring us up but he wasn't really the whole..'guardian' guy. He was pretty reckless." She shrugged and leaned back on the bench with a smile. "I'll give him credit for keeping us alive though."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/25/2013, 9:30 pm

"It's crazy how many people here have absent parents. It's almost expected." Darren looked around. For some strange reason, Darren wanted to tell her more. "Well, in the magician world, I'm what they call a sleight." Darren started spinning the cards in front of her face in seemingly impossible ways, changing directions and even design of the cards. "I do up in your face magic. I'm not much of a showman, but my magic does make a good show." As he was telling her this, Darren slipped the penny penny out of her pocket, quickly and easily, like he'd done without people noticing hundreds of times. "It's good for street magic. It tricks almost everyone. It also makes me a good," Darren stopped with the cards and held up the penny. "Pick-pocket."

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/25/2013, 9:50 pm

"I know right? It sad to see majority of demigods that come from difficult home lives.." Marisol shook her head in disappointment, then looked back up at Darren once he spoke again. She watched in awe as he began to do all sorts of card techniques right in front of her face. He was moving so swiftly as if it were just a part of him, which Marisol believed to be true. Once he held up the penny in his hand, she quickly moved her hand to her pocket where the penny had no longer been. A smirk curled on her lips as she took the penny back and she shook her head. "That's..alright, that's just crazy. How'd you learn all this? Or is this just natural born talent?"
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/26/2013, 3:05 pm

Darren smiled, glad that she was impressed by the trick. Darren looked at her as she talked. "A little bit of both. I taught myself all the tricks. I started with books and then I became good enough to make stuff up. But it was just all a bit easier, being a son of Hecate." Darren had started magic when was about 6 and it never really stopped. By the time he was 12, he was the top street magician in New York, and by 14, the top pick-pocket. Darren didn't really plan on telling Marisol that part, though.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/26/2013, 10:40 pm

"I'm impressed... Y'know, when I was little my Mom brought home a deck of cards and I tried to do cool magic tricks but it never worked out." Marisol laughed, a little embarrassed by the memory now that she recalled it. "Obviously, I totally sucked, so I just preferred to watch magic tricks than do it. You seem to be pretty talented in what you do though." She grinned. "You could have like one of your own magic shows or tv show or something..kinda like that David Blaine guy."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/27/2013, 2:59 pm

Darren laughed and shook his head. "I don't want to be on a tv show. It'll ruin my street cred." Darren smiled. "I like being a street performer. And New York is the greatest city in the world for that." Darren moved over to a bench, and motioned for Marisol to join him. Darren started thinking about the place he loved so much. New York was such an amazing home for him.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/27/2013, 4:08 pm

Marisol sat next to him on the bench, bringing both her feet up as she hugged her knees close to her chest. "What's New York like?" she asked Darren thoughtfully. "Or well..where you came from in New York..because obviously we're in New York right now.." She felt like she could maybe fit in with the people of New York fairly easily. I mean..I adapted to camp fairly quickly... Marisol was sincerely curious to what Darren was to say, though. She wants to know how it was like to live here in someone else's eyes."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/27/2013, 4:27 pm

Darren looked out in front of him. "This is not New York. Not my New York, anyway." Darren smirked for a second, with a slightly crooked smile. "Where I'm from, everyone is always moving. They're ready for the next step. The next day. But they're not cookie-cutter like most of this country. Every person is different, and if you get them to stop moving, everyone is ready to tell their story. But you gotta be good to make them stop. Something special, which is what I was." Darren turned to her and smiled.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haiden on 6/27/2013, 6:02 pm

Marisol could just imagine what New York was like as Darren explained each specific part. Once he finished, she looked at him with awe in her eyes. "That..reminds me of an airport." She thought out loud, and immediately regretted it once the words left her mouth. Her cheeks flushed red and she quickly broke away eye contact as she stared at the floor with embarrasement. "I mean..like, well there's constant action going on there and there's different people every day, y'know? All over the world..traveling for some reason." She explained quickly, her voice quavering a bit. That sounded ridiculous.. Marisol looked back at Darren and smiled weakly yet still recovering from her outburst. "Something special, huh? As cocky as that sounds, I'm really not surprised. I believe you could make them stop."
Haiden
Retired Staff Member <3

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QTheRevolution on 6/28/2013, 7:26 pm

Darren laughed at the analogy to the airport. "It's funny, I kind of get what you mean, about the airport and all. It's a good metaphor. And if I live for metaphors." Darren shrugged. He knew it was true, but he didn't usually say it out loud. Darren laughed. "It's funny that you say cocky. Like a thousand people have said that before." Darren laughed. He didn't really care. He was used to it.

QTheRevolution
Experienced Member

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next