oops i kinda dropped that sword on my foot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

oops i kinda dropped that sword on my foot

Post by Adélie on 1/20/2015, 11:10 pm

She is cold. Ruthless. Her enemy stands only meters away from her, blank eyes without mercy and expression unyielding. Saskia knows this is it - this is the final battle, and there will be only one survivor. There is a pounding noise in her head so loud that it drowns out everything else; the chatter, the footsteps of other campers, and the clashing of metal all die down.

The sword she's holding gets heavier, as if it's made out of lead, and sweat pools in the middle of her palms until it feels like the hilt is about to slip to the ground. Before it's too late she charges.

Everything is timed perfectly. Saskia makes sure that she takes the shortest, quickest path possible and that the angle and velocity of her sword are positioned ideally for her strike. But she failed to account for one, crucial factor - her own clumsiness with a sword. The unbalanced hunk of metal slips out of her grip midway, and she finds herself tripping over it in her own haste, rolling and tumbling, until she finally lands at the feet of her adversary. Darn. Felled before the first blow had even been struck.

Who knew training dummies could be so tough?

"Ow." The groan escapes from her lips before she even knows its gone. There's something humiliating about how she has to pick herself up, dust herself off, and hobble uncertainly for a few seconds before she regains her composure. She swallows it down.

For the hundredth time that day, Saskia curses sword fighting and everything related to it, because it's really not her thing. Really. In the past five hours, she's broken at least two swords and her own pride, destroyed zero training dummies, and managed to trip over everything in sight.

She sways unsteadily on her feet and a wave of exhaustion hits, so sudden and unexpected that she almost tips over. This dummy is possibly the most challenging opponent she's ever had to face. Saskia wishes that she's like the other campers, that pick up any kind of fighting with ease, who find reading words more difficult than a feint-thrust-parry maneuver. And perhaps she would be better at fighting, if she attended any training sessions. But something about too many people assembled into one place frightens her. So many variables all put together, so much unpredictability gathered into one. Great.

She wants to spar one-on-one, but every time she considers approaching someone about it, her insides curl up into a little, closed-off ball and that's the end of the matter. It's not like there's anyone in this camp that would be patient enough to teach someone who can't even kill a unarmed training dummy, especially when they're armed with enough celestial bronze to slice through a legion of monsters. That is, if you're Percy Jackson.

Somehow, her frustration and weariness catch up to her, something that has been unfortunately happening more and more often. She removes the small knife from its sheath, which is stowed on her waist, and guts the dummy just like that, with a simple slash upward. Saskia decapitates it, for good measure, and then hurls the knife as hard as she can, until it thuds into the chest of another dummy hanging halfway across the arena. Straw flies everywhere, and she is momentarily satisfied. At least there is still something she is good at.

Then she sees other campers around her, practically doing cartwheels as they swing and slash and jab, and her mood sours as quickly as milk on a hot summer day.

Last edited by Adélie on 2/1/2015, 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adélie

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: oops i kinda dropped that sword on my foot

Post by Guest on 1/22/2015, 10:31 pm

ooc: can i post cuz i am

bic: Liza struggled with her heavy sword, trying to hit the dummy in front of her. She saw some Aphrodite girls giggling at how cute she was, and she shot them a glare. She tried again, but the sword flopped down and hit the ground. Liza groaned and recovered.

Liza looked over to another spot and saw another girl looking really cool charging at her dummy, but failing. Liza wished she could at least pick up her sword. And what was worst of all was that the sword she had with her was probably the lightest one they had at camp. Liza totally would've preferred using her dagger, but this was sword fighting practice.

Liza somehow picked up the sword and tried again, but once she started running the sword slipped out of her hands and she ducked, trying not to get stabbed in her head. She looked back over to where she saw the other girl, who looked discouraged. Liza smiled and called out to her, "Hey, at least you can actually pick up a sword."

Back to top Go down

Post by Adélie on 1/27/2015, 8:23 am

OOC: I AM SO SORRY. This is really late...

Saskia whirls around and raises an eyebrow and her lip curls. She didn't even notice the other frail girl near her, struggling to lift her sword as if it weighed a couple of tons.

"Of course I can lift my sword," she says curtly, and even though that sounds harsh, she's so frustrated that she doesn't care. Other people make her nervous; even though she can outsmart many demigods with sheer brainpower, there's always something unpredictable about people that she fails to account for.

There are Aphrodite children giggling near the outskirts of the arena, probably about the latest gossip around the camp, and they make Saskia cringe inwardly. Idiots. There's a smooth, ringing sound when she slides her knife back into the sheath secured at her waist, almost like metal on metal.

She's just preparing to leave when her gaze falls back on the girl, who's still heaving and pulling at the sword, and she feels a little regretful for what she said earlier. "Do you want to spar?" she asks, realizing how ridiculous it sounds - why would she ask a girl that can't even lift a sword to spar with her?

But what would her mother say? Obviously, that it's more tactful to make allies, in the right amount. So far, Saskia's just been going around the camp, gathering up a pool of hostiles, enemies, and neutral people that don't really care what she does. Maybe this can be her new venture into the world of "friends". Whatever that is.
Adélie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 1/27/2015, 3:10 pm

Liza smiled and dragged her sword behind her as she walked towards the other girl. "I guess that depends. Can I use my dagger? I can't pick up this sword for the life of me." She quickly ran over to her bag and took out her dagger. Never had it looked so beautiful to her. She smiled and brought it back to the other girl. "First of all, what's your name?"

Ooc: By the way my posts are going to be way shorter than yours, I hope you're okay with that. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Adélie on 1/27/2015, 9:29 pm

OOC: No problem at all! As you can see, my posts are getting progressively shorter. xD

"Saskia,"
she says, and hopes that her voice doesn't sound too cautious, hesitant, or anything like that. She straightens. "Saskia Shostakovitch. Daughter of Athena." There is some pride in her voice at that, and at least her mother being the goddess of wisdom makes up for her failure of a father.

When Liza asks to use her dagger, the corners of her mouth turn upward slightly into a dry smile. "You can use your dagger," she answers, "if I can use my knife." She drops the sword she's been holding, and it drops with a dull clunk onto the dirt ground of the arena.

Good riddance, she thinks, glaring savagely at the sword and hoping that she never has to use one again. What a poorly designed weapon - not only is it entirely unpractical to carry a weapon so large and unconcealed, but the large mass makes it so difficult to use that even the momentum gained ceases to be an advantage. She quickly calculates the momentum of the sword based on its approximate mass in her head, just to make sure.
Adélie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 1/28/2015, 11:57 pm

Liza broke into a grin when Saskia introduced herself. "Awesome! I'm a daughter of Athena too!" Liza stepped forward and put her hand in front of Saskia. "I'm Liza, daughter of Athena." 

Liza grasped her dagger, slightly worried. She didn't know how to fight very well with anything. Saskia was definitely going to beat her, but she knew she had to do more then sit in front of her laptop all day. "You can use your knife. By the way, I'm really crappy at all fighting. So have fun creaming me, I  guess." 

Back to top Go down

Post by Adélie on 1/29/2015, 8:56 am

Saskia stares at the outstretched hand for a few moments, as if wondering how to approach it (in the most strategical manner possible, of course). It has been a long time since she's shaken anyone's hand in good will. Finally, she grasps Liza's hand and shakes it stiffly.

"You're a daughter of Athena, too?" she asks, and tries to keep her voice sounding curious rather than skeptical. She can actually see how this quiet, mild girl could be related to her - not all Athena children fit the athletic mold, after all. In fact, the old stereotype had been that Athena children preferred to sit inside all day, proving mathematics conjectures or programming complex software. That had been the stereotype until the Titan War, when Annabeth Chase and the Athena cabin proved themselves to be strategists as well as high-class Greek warriors.

Then what Liza says next surprises her. "You're really crappy at fighting?" she muses out loud, thinking hard. Adding quickly, she says, "Me too." Liza could have just been making a lighthearted comment, or it could be a bluff - to get Saskia to underestimate her. Saskia's already in strategizing mode. She's been in a couple of knife fights on the streets, and the thing about fighting with a small weapon is that agility is more useful than brute strength. Usually, just by dodging the opponent's wild slashes and using their strength against them, she was able to scare them off pretty quickly. She has taken a few self-defense classes.

But this is her half-sister - a demigod. Her hand goes to her knife and she draws it, watching the crisp edge of the blade glint in the fading sunlight.
Adélie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 1/30/2015, 1:23 pm

Liza nodded when Saskia asked the questions "Yeah, probably because I spend all my time in my cabin all day." She frowned and pulled out her dagger and stands up straighter. "So, you wanna start?" 

ooc: Sorry it's so short. :P

Back to top Go down

Post by Adélie on 2/1/2015, 8:44 pm

OOC: No problem at all! Ughhh I'm so bad at starting fight scenes though so forgive the crappy writing.

"Same here,"
Saskia says, and almost laughs, but she stops herself. Showing emotions is for the weak. Years on the street taught her that, at the very least.

But she agrees. They've been standing around talking for long enough. The sun is almost setting and she wants to get back to her cabin and finish her invention, before the lights get turned out, and she won't be allowed to use up electricity anymore. "Yeah, let's start."

She acts as if she's contemplating something very hard, but then suddenly jabs out with her knife, movement quick and sharp. It's not at her full potential, especially when it comes to knife fighting, but Saskia just wants to test out Liza's skill with a dagger first, before the actual fighting begins.

She pulls in one arm towards her chest just in case even as her knife is in motion, so that she'll be able to block possible incoming attacks. By now, it's become almost second instinct.

Adélie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2/6/2015, 11:25 pm

"Okay, so um, how exactly do you fight with a dagger? I normally skip sword fighting classes." Liza stepped to her side of their arena and pulled out her dagger. It shined with the lasting light of the day. "I know it's not like sword fighting. That would be weird." 

ooc: sorry it's so late. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Adélie on 2/8/2015, 12:30 am

She smiles. Saskia's never liked sword fighting classes either, because who likes swinging a hunk of metal around and making a fool of oneself in front of the rest of the camp?

She racks her mind for anything that she knows about daggers. Daggers are a lot like knives, so Saskia finds that she can actually answer the question, even though she's a total amateur when it comes to combat.

"Daggers are all about speed," she says. "Agility. Blocking and redirecting the attacks of your opponent so that you can use their strength against them. A lot of people think that it's just about using the dagger itself, but the rest of your body is just as important. Try and distract your opponent with your weapon and then trip them, or disarm them, or deliver a punch. Daggers are small and light, so they offer a lot of flexibility in your fighting style."
Adélie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: