Awareness

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Awareness

Post by kayt smells on 3/4/2015, 1:20 am

A topic that deserves awareness is the topic of teen girls loosing their innocence.
I don't mean it that way, but I just watched a documentary on netflix called, "Sexy Baby." While there was 3 girls being interviewed, I focused more on the 12 year old, Winnie. You see this went through 2 years of Winnie's life. I started off thinking she was an innocent kid, except for the few cuss words that came out of her mouth. Other then that she was feminist, and thought strongly on not sharing revealing pictures on the internet. As it got further into her story, she started becoming more and more ruined by society.

"Facebook is my life."

"I just want to hook up with someone"

She was 12.

She dressed like a 18 year old and by the time she was 14 she was posting bra pictures and showing off her body to the internet, receiving comments from guys saying"daaaamn" and many more inappropriate things.

My point is, this doesn't just happen to her. It needs to be made aware of how effed up society is being, to the point where social media is life; where posting that photo on instagram is more important then living in the moment, where you want your boobs hanging out to attract a guy's attention. I mean these song artists are even warping young children. It made me physically ill hearing the 6 year old sister of Winnie say words like "f*ck off b!tch." She was dancing like a pole dancer and she was 6. She was watching all these videos because we are becoming based off of social media. It get's to the point where the 12 year old girl was making a joke about how she would blow for free taxi rides. A 12 year old making those jokes..

It makes me sick.

This needs awareness, many parents are letting their children do too much with their trust, one moment they could be 'just chatting' with a guy and then next moment sending nude pics.

I actually started crying because of how disgusted I was of the documentary, it disgusted me a 12 year old wanted to hook up. And the thing is, some 12 and 13 year olds actually take the chance.

Social media is changing lives, and sometimes not in a good way.
kayt smells

Female
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2013-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Awareness

Post by Milocross on 3/4/2015, 8:57 am

That is disgusting.
I feel instead of teaching young girls to avoid social media, we should teach EVERYONE what is appropriate and what is inappropriate to do on social media with complete strangers.

We should emphasize teaching older men not to prey on younger girls on the internet for indecent pictures, because thats usually the case.
Milocross
3 parts human, 1 part piano

Female
Number of posts : 7766
Registration date : 2010-01-08

View user profile https://vine.co/u/937945522256379904

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 3/4/2015, 10:18 am

Sadly our current society sexualizes everything. Songs, movies, pictures, ads.... It's almost everywhere you look. It's not surprising it escalates into stuff like that, as repulsive and sick as it is. But it doesn't stop because it brings in money.
If we want people to grow up in a sane environment we shouldn't have sexualized media being put under their nose, and I'm not just talking about the Internet.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female
Number of posts : 15323
Registration date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.
(My mystery box prizes: 2 god parent gifts+2 slots+1exotic pet)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhyolo on 3/6/2015, 10:19 am

well speaking on a related note we need to stop guys my age acting like it is a competition to get a girl. I mean im 13 and guys at my schools are talking about f***ing a girl in the a** I Mean really, this has to go.
Rhyolo
YOLO MASTER

Male
Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2014-05-25

View user profile http://<style>.ig-b- { display: inline-block; } .ig-b- img

Back to top Go down

Post by Milocross on 3/6/2015, 3:02 pm

rhy please, thats kind of explicet.
Milocross
3 parts human, 1 part piano

Female
Number of posts : 7766
Registration date : 2010-01-08

View user profile https://vine.co/u/937945522256379904

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Landry on 3/6/2015, 3:06 pm

I don't see in which way it's explicit Catherine. He censored. And if that's explicit, then you should've said that about Fro's whole post, especially the joke-about-blowing-someone-for-a-free-taxi-ride part.
Morgan Landry
High Queen of Narnia

Female
Number of posts : 15323
Registration date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Click on the gifs

for the RP invite

Guest, you are awesome.
(My mystery box prizes: 2 god parent gifts+2 slots+1exotic pet)

Back to top Go down

Post by Edgar Allan Poe on 3/6/2015, 8:59 pm

Alright, although I've never heard of or watched this documentary, I have a few things to say based on what you described about it, and not of them all are "OMG WHERE IS THIS WORLD GOING?" Please listen carefully. First, I noticed you said "feminist" and I guess some people (that's not necessarily your case) haven't researched enough about this movement and got to kind of prejudiced conclusions about it. Feminists aren't just crazy ladies who suddenly decided to show their bodies and "hate all men" only to shock and destroy the old, not so good, conservative "normality" (the same that usually spreads hate against LGBT and other minorities). We are, in fact, rebels, because we are trying to start a revolution here, against sexism and various types of subtle inequalities and injustices that women suffer everyday. It also affects men, although they barely realize it, because they're too used to being called "f*gs" if they show a little more of sensitivity, or have some preferences and tastes that differ from the traditional (and very sexist) concept of "masculinity". I'm used to all kind of internet hate for joining feminism, but still I'm always in the mood to explain it for those who want to listen. Showing our bodies freely is only a way to conquer autonomy and fight oppression. Have you ever realized how you can sell the female beauty in "Playboy", but women are judged if they decided to be proud of their nudity? That's the point.

Now, about the situation itself. When I was 12, I still played with dolls and was disgusted about kisses. But as puberty started, I matured, and my sexuality surfaced shortly after, although tentatively, in a common way. I believe it happens to most of us girls, with some particular differences. This is perfectly normal, it comes with growing up. The problem is that, children are being sexualized way too early nowadays, and that's not very hard to notice. I blame it on the internet, like parents do. The quick sprawling of information for all ages and the difficulty to filter what kind of things reach our kids, is slowly perverting their minds, although neither them or their relatives being able to realize it until it's too late.

I think innocence doesn't even exist anymore. Do you wonder how I discovered about s*x? I didn't need "the talk". I GOOGLED it when I was like 8. Luckily I found a Wikipedia page that taught me what I wanted to know in a politically correct way. But I could have found inappropriate pics, and they could have caused me a bad effect. If I ever have kids, I'm going to be the most liberal possible and give them a feminist education, but I won't give them the same rambling access to internet I had. I'm going to show them old cartoons instead, and when the time comes, teach them what they have to know about sexuality.

This girl... I'm seriously worried about this girl. She's a neon ad for pedos. As a feminist, I'm not saying that she should repress her sexuality and become a nun, but she does need some proper education about it. She's obviously in need of it. She's not a woman yet, although she pretends to be. She's a confused pre-teen replicating the nasty things she saw on the media. Do her parents show up in the documentary? Because I am really curious about what they have to say.
Edgar Allan Poe
Experienced Member

Female
Number of posts : 5512
Registration date : 2011-11-10

View user profile http://dat-creepy-goth-girl.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh on 3/7/2015, 6:00 am

I don't see why being a feminist has anything to do with it. Feminism is about campaigning for women and men to be equal in all forms, whether in terms of job opportunities and pays, their rights, everything. About the sexualism, I don't think this is really a feminist case. In actual fact, this girl has the free will to do as she pleases about this (to an extent as it long as it remains within the law).

Now, I agree, the world is becoming more sexualised. And yes, the internet does make it more easily accessible to see all this, but my main blame would be TV and music. Go watch the Disney channel now, even there, it makes the kids seem more mature and older and as if its acceptable? The TV shows have changed a lot from when I was younger, when thats not in a long space of time. Music is also becoming increasingly sexualised, I mean, bloody hell, Nicki Minaj? Miley Cyrus? A lot of Pop culture is sexualised. And unfortunately, thats not going to change, because it sells, and you can have these idealist views of changing that, but to be realistic, it won't. Businesses have already capitalised on this image and it will continue that way as this generation has become fixated on it and so it'll pass on.

However, on the one hand, have children maturing earlier doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, however becoming obsessed with this sexual culture at a younger age is disappointing, but parents aren't the blame or anyone, it's media. It's literally impossible to prevent a child being exposed to this culture, unless you want to restrict them from the whole world. You'd have to home school them, not allow them to go out, restrict tv channels, restrict music, restrict 90% of the internet. So, people can try and have these liberal views, however that's a very naive approach as if you restrict a child like this, they're more likely to go out of their way to find out. Though, if the parent were to explain it as and when necessary, then you can raise a child to be more sensible about it all and not become obsessed by this culture.

Josh
The Genius

Male
Number of posts : 3579
Registration date : 2012-08-07

View user profile

Kyla O'Shea - Tyche - 17
Ciara Martin - 14 - Pollux

Back to top Go down

Post by kayt smells on 3/7/2015, 10:57 am

The parents were in this documentary, they started out trusting her but they took away her facebook 6 times per month for bad pictures she posted, her Mom and Dad literally let her go to a Brittney Spears concert by herself with a friend in New York at 9 at night in a bad part (this was recorded in 2012-2014) and then they were wearing barely any clothes, if they bent over you would see their underwear. The parents didn't like that.

The girl would facetime boys in her room and when her mom came in she would shoo her out, if you shoo your mom out your doing something suspicious. Her parents trusted her less and less, she became addicted to these bad things. Her parents weren't doing their job exactly, they may have taken her facebook away but they didnt refrain her from doing it. They didn't restrict her from hanging out with friends and fully ground her, they didnt even take away her iphone. My parents would do that and i would never do that again. If they took everything away I would learn my lesson.

The parents didn't care that their children were doing all ths bad stuff. My mom would have been terribly mad if I was cussing at such a young age. And it isn't just the cussing and the discipline. It's how sexual the girl's friend is too.

"I just want to hook up with someone."
"I sent him a bra pic and he posted it to the internet."

And then the girl's 'friends' on facebook.

The called her names, you know like wh*re, sl*t, h*e. They constantly called her names. It made me sad about that.

The point is, this isn't about feminism. It's about what society is doing to bend the young minds of children everywhere.
kayt smells

Female
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2013-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: