Guard Duty (Open)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guard Duty (Open)

Post by Green on 6/12/2016, 2:12 pm

Guarding the Caldecott Tunnel was actually enjoyable for Chadwick. It gave him quiet time to think and all he had to do was watch out for any intruders. Now and days with the Titans back in deep dark pits of the underworld and the war between the Greeks and Romans now over, doing this job has been fairly easy. He shifted some in his imperial gold armor, thinking about what he was going to eat for dinner whenever the Mess hall opened up again. He'd have to check what was on the menu for tonight.

The son of Pomona didn't have a watch, but he could tell by the Sun that it was around three o'clock in the afternoon or so. Give or take thirty minutes. He didn't know where his partner was, but he wasn't in any rush. Chadwick hated whenever someone rushed him so he wouldn't dare do that to anyone else. His hand tightened on the hilt of his gladius as he stared down the tunnel, almost wanting something to happen.

Last edited by Zoopathic on 6/12/2016, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Green
Loyal Member

Male
Number of posts : 4470
Registration date : 2014-11-16

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Re: Guard Duty (Open)

Post by redline2400 on 6/12/2016, 2:43 pm

OOC: Mind if I hop in with my main Roman?
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male
Number of posts : 1178
Registration date : 2015-08-05

View user profile http://westernracingcom.proboards.com/#

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 6/12/2016, 2:58 pm

OOC: No, of course not! Go ahead!
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/15/2016, 11:37 am

OOC: Ok, not my main, but since you asked...

BIC: You'd think that after an incident where another legionnaire got killed, Sean wouldn't use the porta-potty located up the road. Sh*t, some people would be scarred by something like that, no longer able to use unsanitary plastic latrines due to some unconditional fear of some insane butterfly effect occurring if he were to dare step inside the booth-like toilet stall. But Sean? He just kept on using it like nothing happened.

Well, he did change one thing about handling his guard duty calls to duty: he started using it before his shift began, coming up the tunnel early and mitigating the risk of a legionnaire of less skill dying from being alone.

But now the time had come for his shift to start, and Sean headed up the service road back to the tunnel, where he noticed the other legionnaire had already started his hour. And he was looking down the tunnel rather than away from it; neglecting all the potential threats that could and would throw themselves at New Rome's gates.

In short, a slacking moron. How lovely...

"Hey, half-wit!" he called out, nearing the tunnel's exterior; "How about y'all turn around instead of staring off in space like some retard, ya'know eh? Use your head and do your job!"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 6/15/2016, 1:53 pm

Now Chadwick was a peaceful person, but he didn't take kindly to those who insulted him especially if they didn't know him. The Roman shifted underneath his imperial gold armor and gripped the hilt of his gladius more. He gave him his judgemental stare, looking him up and down with his eyes alone.

"...Yes sir." There was an underlying amount of sass to his voice as he looked straight ahead. He wanted to say something, but he decided that'll he save that for later. Who in the Hell does this...idiot think he is? Talking to me like that?! Why, Jupiter do you curse me with an Canadian loaf like this?! Chadwick thought to himself, glancing over at the guy before looking back at the exterior.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/15/2016, 3:00 pm

It pleased the Saskatchewan native (OOC: from Saskatchewan) to see the other legionnaire face the roadway; after spending the majority of his life on a farm in conditions that varied from stroke-inducing heat to hypothermia causing cold, slack wasn't one of Sean's favorite things. Their response was a bit odious - his eyes and tone left little to question what his feelings were - but what did the Canadian expect? He was an American, a city dwelling one too. Work probably wasn't his forte.

Sean got in line, the son of Ceres adjusting the position of his hasta before taking a second to look up at the sun - because what else was there to do for the next hour? "Hey, halfie;" he asked, now turning his head away from the sun and to the other guard; "You got the time on ya'?"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 6/15/2016, 4:28 pm

The son of Pomona glanced back at his fellow guard was about to say something smart, but deciding against it. Instead, he answered, "No, I don't have the time." Chad turned to look back at the roadway. He was completely content, but he could go for a peach right about now. He remembered his father's orchard like he was there yesterday. Although it was small, it was still nice. He missed Freddy too. He'd have to AM (Arcus Message) then later. Perhaps after dinner.

After a while of silence, he decided to make conversation, at least so that this...Roman beside him wasn't a complete and utter stranger. "I'm Chadwick." He glanced over at him for the third time.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/19/2016, 12:27 pm

"Sean." Replied the Canadian, turning to look at the fellow legionnaire. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance Chadwick." His tone was an odd one; a mix between dismissive sarcasm and genuine interest in getting to know the African American he would be standing beside for the next hour or 45 minutes or so.

OOC: Sorry for the late reply.
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 6/19/2016, 1:02 pm

He cut his eyes at 'Sean', looking him up and down not so discretely, then turned to look off at the road "Likewise, Sean." Chadwick started to count the all the green colored cars that passed. There weren't a lot of green ones which made him have to concentrate hard.

"...Fifth cohort." He let go of the hilt of his gladius. "And you?"
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 6/19/2016, 2:41 pm

"Fourth;" he replied, turning back to face the highway; "though I see no difference between cohorts. We're all Romans anyway, so any cohort 'rivalries' are nothing but some firefighters vs. police kind of thing, ya'know?"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 6/19/2016, 7:06 pm

"You have a point, Sean from the fourth." Chadwick cracked a small grin. Maybe he wasn't as bad as he initially thought although that comment he made earlier still rubbed him the wrong way.

"You do this duty often, Sean?"
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 7/3/2016, 3:06 pm

"Occasionally;" replied the Canadian; "but doesn't everyone?
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 7/3/2016, 5:25 pm

Chadwick tried not to frown. "...Right. Anyway. Where are you from?" He asked curiously. "Canada, maybe?" He hoped that was right. If not then he was in trouble. Not really, but he would've been embarrassed.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 7/5/2016, 7:49 am

"Are you from Canada?" Now that brought a smile to Sean's face. "Last I checked my home was in Saskatchewan, so yessir I'm a Canadian. My home and native land is there, and I'd do whatever it takes to keep her safe. Of course, that will have to wait a few years, but keeping western civilization afloat can count as defense by extension, right?"

He glanced over at Chad, not establishing any eye contact but making him know that he was interested in the conversation. "So, where do you come from, Chad?"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 7/5/2016, 1:43 pm

Well, that differently got a reaction out of him. Chadwick rolled his neck once. "Here. And by here I mean California. I grew up in San Francisco with my dad and step-father." He explained. "He owns some plum orchard somewhere. I'm not sure where, but he owns one." Chad missed his dad some, but knew that him being in New Rome was were he was suppose to be.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 7/5/2016, 3:33 pm

So his dad owned a plum orchard? Like, plums as in prunes and sh*t? With that little snippet of info from Chad, Sean began to see a way to connect with his fellow legionnaire.

"My guess would be upstate, maybe around Monterey or Sonoma. Those places seem to have a lot of agro-industry, but I couldn't tell you much about fruits. Grain, barley, that kind of sh*t I know. But fruits, not as much."
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 7/5/2016, 3:47 pm

"Mostly likely one of two of those places." Wow, Chad should really check up on his dads. He was sure they would love to hear from him.

"Grain, barely?" He looked over at him with narrowe d eyes in thought. "Wait, who's your god parent?" He had pretty good idea who it was, but he didn't want to make any assumptions. He hated whenever someone did that to him so he made sure not to do it to anybody else.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 7/6/2016, 11:50 pm

"My god parent?" That was a funny question in the eyes of Sean, especially considering that everyone who wasn't wearing a piece of lead around their necks had their parent tattooed onto their arm, but then again, they were Romans; not Egyptians. Romans don't read hieroglyphs.

"Well, that would be none other than Ceres, though it doesn't take that kind of bloodline to know where plums could grow in California. Just read Of Mice and Men or the label to a wine bottle."
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 7/7/2016, 12:11 am

The Roman narrowed his eyes more at the son of Ceres, but this time for a different reason. "Right..." He looked back at the road and exhaled. He didn't notice the torches crossing over horizontal wheat stems. What? He wasn't directly staring at inner right forearm.

"Well, Lady Ceres is a very important goddess, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that." He went to her temple often.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 7/7/2016, 12:17 am

Yes, Sean very much understood that his mom was very important. She was one of the main twelve gods after all. But talk about his mother could wait, there were more pressing issues at hand. "So, who's your godly parent? Or grandparent or whatever?"
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 7/7/2016, 12:34 am

He took in a deep breath and answered him saying proudly, "Pomona. Or Pompona. I like Pomona better, but to each their own." He let go of the hilt of his gladius and scratched underneath his jaw. "She's the goddess of orchards, fruit trees, plenty, and abundance." Chadwick was sure that Sean didn't need for him to list all everything his mother was in charge of, but he liked talking about her. Sue him.
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by redline2400 on 7/7/2016, 12:41 am

"So she's the goddess of plenty AND abundance? Sounds like a case of conflict of interest if you know what I mean." Making claims like this against all-powerful deities probably wasn't Sean's smartest move, but the kid couldn't help himself.
redline2400
Dedicated Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Green on 7/7/2016, 12:47 am

"What does that suppose to mean?" Chadwick asked with a raised eyebrow. "Plenty and abundance go hand and hand." He looked at him at him for a while, ignoring the urge to summon a peach and throw it at his face. When did Chadwick get so aggressive and hostile? He took in a deep breath and attempted a smile. "Sorry, don't mind me."
Green
Loyal Member

Male

View user profile

07 Character slots left

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down