Orlando

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Orlando

Post by Sienna on 6/12/2016, 8:15 pm

Hey guys, I know not all of you will appreciate sad stuff being talked about but I feel like this is an important thing to say.

Very early this morning, a man shot up a gay nightclub in Orlando Florida. As of now the death toll is 50, with 53 other people injured. This puts it as the worst mass shooting in United States history.

What you might not know is that it is also Pride month. A time for celebrating the lgbt community. Now there are thousands of lgbt people who are very scared, and rightfully so.

In a world that is still very homophobic, places like the Pulse act as a safe place for those in the LGBT community. It is somewhere where they can go and know that nobody will judge them of their sexual orientation or gender identity. For those that are still in the closet, it is a place for them to be who they really are. This morning, someone took away many people’s safe place.

Although the media might be focused on the shooter’s religion, it seems to forget that above all else, this is a hate crime against the lgbt community. I hope that eventually the media will decide to mourn the loss of those who were killed, rather than another witch hunt against muslim americans.

This post is for our brothers and sisters, may they rest in peace.

Sienna

Female
Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2012-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Orlando

Post by Milocross on 6/14/2016, 10:10 pm

Anyone in their right mind would realize that this was a hate crime and had nothing to do with religion.
I'm not shocked easily, but I had to sit down after hearing this news. It was the first story in a while that sent chills up my spine. The worst mass shooting in the history of the US was a hate crime against LGBT.
If you haven't seen it yet, check out this short interview of a survivor. note: it's ridiculous to interview someone while they're likely still in a state of shock and are still recovering, but i found it to be rather impactful.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/watch/orlando-survivor-i-never-give-up-704801859824
Milocross
3 parts human, 1 part piano

Female
Number of posts : 7766
Registration date : 2010-01-08

View user profile https://vine.co/u/937945522256379904

Back to top Go down

Post by Metilinos on 6/14/2016, 10:36 pm

Milo, I would ask that you please try to be more mindful of the situation. Now isn't the time to try to debate political stance and semantics. We have the best there is investigating all there is to it. Now isn't the time to argue semantics.

Now is the time to let the LGBT community know that we stand with them. Adding on stealthy comments as to how you feel other people have no right mind is sort of cruel, when you think about it. You're using a tragedy to insist you know better than others. Please, don't do that, I find it incredibly upsetting. It isn't part of the unifying process, it's a part of the hate process.

I don't want to offend you, but it's an intensely sensitive subject, that I think deserves to be treated with more care.
Metilinos

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2014-11-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kwacken on 6/14/2016, 10:45 pm

This is a horrible tragedy, and the fact of the matter is that it is still very early on in the investigation. We do not know what the primary motivation was, whether religion, politics or homophobia.

Be mindful of people's feelings and the high emotions that this topic cab invoke.
Kwacken

Female
Number of posts : 2302
Registration date : 2014-12-31

View user profile

( 1 ) Cust. Rank, Monster Attack, Character Slot, Loss of Limb, Exotic Pet
( 2 ) Name Change
( 3 ) Shout Out, Name color(2mo)
( 6 ) GP Visit
( 8 ) GP Gift

Back to top Go down